Memory

Alexis P.O.V.

I looked around the room with all the men. None of them were paying attention to me as I sat by myself in the back corner. I shrunk against the wall, wishing I could blend in to the dirty, cream color painted walls.

"Lex," one of the men grunted as he shuffled over to me, towering over my frail frame. "Peter wants to see you."

I nodded and walked through the crowded room, making sure my eyes remained trained to the ground. I was only ten years old and in a room full of grown men. Talk about uncomfortable.

I walked over to the closed door and gently knocked. I'd learned my lesson before- you always knocked before entering anywhere around here.

"Come in," a deep voice huffed.

I opened the door and walked into the dimly lit room. It smelled like cigarettes and must. Not a pleasant combination.

"Hello Lex," Peter said, a sickening grin spreading across his face as I gently sat in the broken down chair across from him.

I gave him a tight nod, that familiar sick feeling rising in my stomach.

"We have another assignment for you," he purred.

-------

My eyes widened as the man next to me fell to the ground groaning. That wasn't supposed to happen. I stood frozen in my spot, unsure of how to continue on the mission.

"Lex! Come on!" a man named Seth yelled as he ran out of the room. I quickly followed, tripping over my feet, my entire body in a state of shock. Our mission had failed. We'd failed horribly. And now we needed to get out.

I saw the flying table, but didn't have time to register what was happening before the explosion threw me off my feet. I was thrown sideways into the wall as shrapnel piled on top of me. The last thing I heard was loud yelling before the world faded around me.

-------

My eyes flew open. I had failed the mission. And now I was in a hospital.

"Lexi?" a choked up voice asked from my left. I slowly turned my aching head and caught sight of my mom. My mom who I hadn't seen in two years, ever since I started working for Big Joe. "Lexi, sweetheart, are you okay?" she asked, tears flooding down her face.

All I could do was blink in response.

"Lexi, I promise on my life, you'll never see those men again. You're going to come home with me. Everything's going to be okay, baby. I promise."

I nodded weakly, suddenly overcome by extreme exhaustion. I closed my eyes and drifted off to one of the most peaceful sleeps I'd ever experienced.

-------

I opened my eyes and blinked in the bright, white light. I was still in the hospital. "Mom?" I croaked, turning my head to the left. A huge wave of pain crashed over my head as I moved it barely, and tears rose to my eyes in response.

"Lex!" voices cried as I heard footsteps and shuffling.

"Lex, are you okay?" a boy with curly, brown hair said as he stood over me with big, worried eyes. He had a British accent.

Behind him, another boy appeared. He also had brown hair, but his was straight. Both looked like they'd been missing a lot of sleep recently, and their hair was dirty and disheveled.