69

I took a deep breath and tugged at my shirt. "Here's to hoping they won't immediately won't accuse me of replacing you with a clone or something." Kaldur snorted. His hand gripped my shoulder and he squeezed it, either in reassurance-

"Considering the fact C.A.D.M.U.S. once tried to clone us, that is a logical worry."

-or that.

"Huh, I wonder if they did clone you, would the clone still have the oath? Or would it be considered a totally separate individual even if it somehow had all your memories?" I asked. My worn sneakers scuffed against the floor as the two of us wandered into the Cave. Lightening my steps, it wasn't hard to sneak up on all of the Team members present. Megan was baking, Connor watching TV. Wally and Artemis bickering like an old married couple. Connor's gaze flicked to me before returning to the field of static blanketing the screen. 

"I would rather not think of that, Percy."

Everyone looked at us, but quickly went back to what they were doing. Megan's shoulders drooped. Why are- oh. Yeah, well, that would do it.

"Whatcha baking, Megan?" I walked over. Cool marble, plastic, whatever, was under my hands as I leaned on the counter. Vanilla wafted around me, and the cocoa powder and chips left no doubt. Double chocolate chip cookies. I grinned and leaned further. I swiped my finger through the door, stealing a glob and popping it in my mouth before Megan could catch me. "This is good, I'm sure they'll end up great. Unless, you know, Wally eats all the dough."

"You've eaten more than I have!" Wally said. Artemis smacked the back of his head and mentioned something about history repeating itself. 

"Oof." Kaldur stumbled back, arms wrapping around the smiling and chattering teen who had tackled him. "Hello, Robin."

"How was your trip?" 

I watched in abject horror mixed with fascination as Robin managed to pull exorcist level flexibility to end up on Kaldur's back. I know the kid's an acrobat, but that was scary. Kaldur easily laughed it off, made a horrible pun, and fell onto the couch. His head hit Connor's leg, but he didn't react. I laughed, sitting on the floor. Maybe I can make a new start here?

...

As much as I want to, I don't think I can. No amount of apologies will ever make up for what they did. It might not've been horrible, not in terms of things I've suffered. Countless deaths, torture, more deaths, more torture, all of this shouldn't have affected me. Hades, it's not even like what they said was the worst thing I've ever heard. But still.

Everything they did only piled onto every other issue I have, because as much as I try to hide them. I know I have issues. Don't know what part about me jumping off a cliff wouldn't give that away. Or the other times I've done something in the same vein of self-destructive behavior. There's probably some really cool, somber metaphor I could use, but everything is rocks in a bucket. You can still have some in there before it sinks, but its eventually going to take on water and once it starts, everything just happens that much faster. 

"Are you okay, Percy?" A gentle hand brushed my shoulder. I flinched. Megan hovered beside me, brow heavy. "You were zoning out."

Quickly, I shook my head. "No, I'm fine. Just thinking about how much I'll need to stab my brother. Thanks, though." My smile was a bit too wide and my tone a bit too cheery for anyone to believe me. Evidence by the way Megan sat down and opened her mouth, only to close it as Kaldur slid to sit beside me.

"I highly doubt you will get anything out of her, Megan. Percy rarely tells me things I am supposed to know, and I am the one in charge of her safety."

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Maybe I'll tell her just to prove you wrong then." He raised an eyebrow, gesturing to go right on ahead and do it. I sighed, shook my head, and leaned back, slouching down until my head was propped at an awkward angle against the couch. 

"That is what I thought."

"If you poke me, I will order you to play the chicken dance at any serious moment in a movie."

"Like you have not done that before."

"Do you want me to get more creative? We both know there are plenty of things that I could do in order to embarrass you."

We fell into playful banter, even managing to draw the others in for a little bit. it didn't last long, with them returning to their 'oh no we're such horrible people why did we treat them this way' moping. I would've been more than happy to leave them to it. It was none of my business how the dealt with the repercussions of their actions. But as the Fates would have it, today was not turning out to be a day where I could get away with ignoring people.

Batman stood waiting for us in the mission room, not letting his expression move a millimeter at the sight of me and Kaldur standing there. What was the us of us being here, if not to help?

"There was a large explosion off the coast of-"

I tuned him out. It didn't matter to me. 

I can't make a new start. I can't. That doesn't mean that I can't keep going to make sure Kaldur stays safe and happy. As long as he thinks it's a good idea to stay here, then that's what I'll do. Kaldur nodded and responded to Batman. As a group we walked towards the locker rooms, Kaldur and I trailing behind. 

"We..." he began softly. " I believe we need to talk about what are plans for the future are."

I smiled and laughed a little. "I know we do. But let's just focus on the mission okay?"

"Okay, this is illegal. You are not allowed to be the one saying that."

"Too bad, Kaldur. Cause I just did!"

Yeah, have this. *throws chapter* I need to go do homework.

aka two projects that are due today and a whole bunch of Latin

See yah