26

"You know why I don't want to."

I sighed and pulled Percy close to me. "You know that you need to."

She whined softly and pressed her face into my chest.

I suppressed my wince as she hit my injury and I simply rubbed her back. "Come on Percy, you need to sleep."

"I know..." She mumbled. "But I don't want to."

"I am going to be right next to you, if you have a nightmare I will wake you up." I assured her.

She moved so she could stare up at me. "Can we go watch TV first?"

"If you will go to bed then yes." I stood up, before crouching so I could give her a piggy back ride.

Once in the living room, I dumped her on the couch before grabbing the remote and sitting next to her.

"What do you want to watch?"

"Um...just find something." She sighed leaning back against the arm of the couch.

I flipped through the channels, eventually stopping on a cartoon.

As we watched, I had to smile as Percy laughed. She seems happy but...

If she puts the same effort into hiding anything from me that she did in hiding what her stepfather did to her from Sally, Orin, and Mother and Father...

"Percy?"

"Hm?" She glanced at me before focusing back on the screen.

"Are you happy here?" I wrung my hands together.

"Of course I am. Why did you ask?" Now her attention was fully on me.

"I...I just wanted to hear you say it."

Later

When I woke up, my head was resting on Percy's chest, her heart beating steadily in my ear.

"Um...Kaldur?"

I shot up and stared at Megan and Connor.

"Good morning. How did you sleep?"  I stretched before walking over to my two friends.

"The real question is what was that all about?" Connor grabbed a box of cereal before handing it to me along with a bowl.

"She could not sleep last night so we ended up watching television." I poured the cereal into the bowl and got some milk out of the fridge.

Then I sighed. "Who's turn is it to go shopping?"

"I think it's you and Percy." Megan reached past me and grabbed some eggs. "Do you know what she wants for breakfast? Whenever I make food for her she doesn't actually eat it."

"Just make her whatever you are having." I poured the milk into the bowl before throwing the empty carton in the trash.

"As long as it's not fish." Percy's groggy voice came from behind me as I ate.

"Why fish?" Connor raised an eyebrow.

"I'm allergic." She yawned, sitting next to me.

"Isn't that a big food source underwater?" Megan questioned as she made some scrambled eggs.

"Yeah, but it's no different than a fisherman's kid being allergic to it. And I'm not going shopping with Kaldur."

"We take turns Percy." I poked her.

"You never get anything good." She groaned. "And you always get candy and you don't share."

"Kaldur never gets candy." Megan sat some eggs in front of Percy who just pushed them around with her fork.

"Eat them Percy." I stared at her.

"I'm not that hungry." She mumbled,  even as her stomach growled.

"Eat."

She huffed and shoveled the food into her mouth. "Happy?"

"Swallow it." I pressured.

Her hand grabbed my arm and squeezed it as she swallowed.

My lips twisted into a frown as I stared at her. "What is it?"

"I don't...feel good."

I lifted a hand and rested it on her forehead.

"You don't feel warm. And you aren't getting out of going."

She groaned and pressed her hand over mine. "Your hand is cold."

"Come on, let's go get ready. Megan, you made the list correct?"

"Yeah, I'll go get it."

I got up and walked after her before entering my room and changing.

The door opened and Percy walked in, wearing a tank top and shorts.

"Do you want to borrow a sweater? I need my jacket today."

She nodded and I grabbed one out of a drawer and tossed it to her.

After she put it on and I got the list from Megan, we headed into town.

"Hurry up Kaldur. I wanna go home."

"It's been ten minutes Percy. How about you find something that you like?" I looked at the dates on the bread before grabbing four loaves.

She nodded. "Fine, but I'm not sharing ."

The moment she was out of the aisle an elderly woman laughed softly.

"You two are an adorable couple."

My eyes widened and I have to admit I was taken aback.

"I...I am sorry?"

"You and your girlfriend dear. It's been so long since I've seen a boy care for someone enough to handle the shopping."

She dropped her bread and I bent down to grab it for her.

"Thank you." She smiled at me.

"She...is not my girlfriend." I sat the bread in her cart. "She is my friend."

"I'm sorry, I just assumed you-"

"Kaldur!" Percy yelled.

I immediately turned and rushed to where her voice seemed to come from. A few people were kneeling on the ground, next to the body on the floor.

"Percy!" I quickly joined them, taking her pulse then waving for the person calling emergency services to end the call.

"You sure? She just kinda dropped."

I nodded. "She's been stressed and she's a bit of an insomniac."

Without offering anything more, I scooped her into my arms and carried her back to the cart. Then I carefully laid her in the basket.

She doesn't feel warm...and I know that I need to keep her safe and healthy but...

Percy

No! Nonono!

No...

Don't...

Please...

Wellllllllllllll

I have homework to do

But hope you enjoyed this.

And...

See yah