Love Aaj Kal - Part 4

"Finally huh, finally you got the time to call ?"

"Hmm, uncle just went to bed a few minutes ago. I had a feeling that this was not going to be a pleasant conversation, so I thought I should spare him the awkwardness of witnessing a nasty fight! So how are you doing miss Rai."

Rai was marvelling at the nerves of this guy. Sitting at her home, probably snuggling in her bed, without her invitation or consent, having ignored her angry messages, this guy had the nerves to spin jokes on her?

"What the hell are you doing at my house Raghav?"

"I just came to meet uncle."

"Why... didn't I tell you there's no need for all this...then why?" 

"You are acting like....like I am going to steal something from your house. I am NOT, ok? Neither am I here to ask uncle to convince you into marrying me." You could tell he was upset from the sudden change in his tone . "Now listen.. its not like we are strangers. We met when uncle came to Paris last time, and we had a great time back then. Whether you accept it or not, you are special to me, and uncle is the most special person in your life. So doesn't it make sense that while I am in India, I should visit him ...just you know...to see how he is doing."

When Rai kept quiet, Raghav took a deep breath and continued with the ranting "I asked you for the address, but you didn't give me. So I messaged uncle on Facebook, and he was more than happy to have me here. You know what.. uncle is way cooler than you...Ms. Rai Dutta. "

Now Rai was feeling small and confused. Her vision began to blur, and drops of sweat started to break out on her temple. Raghav was right, why couldn't he visit her home, to check on her dad or just like that. After her father if there was anyone who meant something to her, it was Raghav. Then why was she upset with him? Why did it make her angry and restless? As a child she would always look forward to someone visiting her. When and how had she changed so much? There was something, an almost unsettling feeling in her stomach, like she was standing at the edge of the cliff...but she couldn't put a finger on what it was.

"You know me Rai, I don't carry around hidden agenda. I just.."

"I am...I am sorry Raghav. I don't know why I...", her voice had softened but she sounded lost.

"Its ok.. I thought I'd tell you a something..but.."

"Tell me....please"

Raghav hesitated a bit, but when Rai insisted a couple of times, he let on. "These few hours that I have been here, I have absolutely loved it. Your home is beautiful Rai, it has such an unpretentious, warm soul... just like you. I could feel your here...in the walls, in the photographs and paintings that hung on them, in this bed that I lying on right now, in your pillows, your cute teddy toys. Actually I asked uncle if I could take one, and now I have your 'Pikachu'..its mine now..

I felt like I already knew every nook and corner of this place from the numerous stories you have told me over the years. Its surreal, like I was travelling back in time to meet a younger Rai, to share her dreams and joys and memories. I literally had goosebumps.. Rai. The only thing missing was you....you were bloody darn missed."

Raghav's family lived in a two storied Bungalow in Delhi. That he could be perfectly at home in her matchbox sized flat in a middleclass neighbourhood in old Kolkata, was weird and weirdly comforting at the same time. It was one thing for them to meet in Paris, where they were equals, but the moment you came to India, the equation turned upside down. They had nothing in common - not the way they were raised, the schools they went to, the societies they lived in, the cultures they inherited, the festivals they celebrated, Raghav didn't even understand her mother tongue. And yet, he had travelled so far to gather her memories, to search for her in places she had left behind years ago. Memories came rushing back to her, haunting memories of that Diwali day eons ago when the first guy she had ever loved, had stood her up, butchering away her childlike innocence, snatching away her sense of selfworth and leaving her scarred for life .