Episode 43: The Seeker's Prize

"Ah! You've finished those, Tsushima-san?" Atsushi glanced at the box I was carrying after I went out of Dazai's apartment.

It was the records of crime events that took place in Yokohama for the past four years, everything that the ADA investigated, including the recent Guild attack.

Fukuzawa-dono permitted me to conduct my independent investigation with the aid of their agency's resources. I just told him it was a private matter and he didn't inquire any further, thankfully.

It's already been a month since I kept on searching the slimmest leads that could lead me to the Demon Fyodor. And It wasn't easy.

Dazai said he would appear if I looked for him. Yeah, I don't think Fyodor appeared at all.

"Yup, I've finished them all last night. I just have to return them or else Kunikida-san would get angry if I didn't get them back with the deadline." I smiled at him.

"I guess that's true. Please let me help!"

"Thank you."

Atsushi carried one of the boxes and walked. Dazai left early because he had a case, and so Atsushi and I made our way to the agency together instead.

For the past month, I've also become acquainted with the people in the agency. They're really friendly and it was fun that I think I made new friends?

As a return for giving me the resource materials I need, I also offered my help in their work. From time to time, I would help them with their cases and run some errands too.

I'm not their employee, by the way, I'm just extending my help if needed.

Fukuzawa-dono just introduced me to their agents as a "part-timer" so that they won't ask any serious questions. Thankfully, they didn't.

"Good morning, Kunikida-san. Thank you for lending me these, I'll return them now."

We've arrived at the agency and I placed all the files back in place.

"Good. Right on schedule, Tsushima-san. I'll check them later..." He said while checking his notebook again.

"You're really passionate about your work, Kunikida-san. Even if you check for the 12th time, I didn't steal nor alter any of your records." I said while taking a seat to Dazai's chair.

I'll take another surveillance around the city later.

"I know you didn't. It's just protocol. Processes should be taken into consideration even if you're a part-timer."

Ara, he's really an uptight man. The complete opposite with his partner, Dazai, who's naturally lazy.

"You still haven't finished what you're looking for, pretty lady? If you ask for the great detective's help, I can figure them out in just seconds!" Ranpo entered the office with a bag full of snacks with him.

Ah, here's the one I should be wary of.

The reason why I borrow the agency's materials and bring them all the way to Dazai's apartment to read, was because of Ranpo-san.

According to Dazai, he's an incredible person despite not being a gifted. He can deduce any information given to him in a matter of seconds.

If we're keeping my search of Fyodor in secret, Ranpo-san's the number one person that should stay out of its reach.

"Thank you for the offer, Ranpo-san, but I prefer solving it on my own. If I ever found what I am looking for, I'll consider myself as a worthy opponent for the great detective." I said.