Episode 31: Dazai's Birthday Present

"Oh, yeah. Why did obaa-san suddenly sent you, onee-san? I was just heading back." 

"Auntie said you were in trouble and so she sent me!" Okin-san said brightly as we head back to the inn. 

After her statement from earlier, Okin-san immediately went back to herself and somehow forgot about what happened.

It's fine, I think?

"How did she know that?" I asked.

"She got tired of waiting for you and so she kept watch." 

Kept watch? What does she mean by that?

"Oh, there's Auntie..." Okin-san pointed to our room which was indeed can be seen from here. 

Wah?!

I stopped as soon as I saw Masako-san holding binoculars in her hands.

Chills went down to my spine, thinking about how obaa-san was watching the whole time.

Masako-san's really scary!

Good thing I helped those drunkards earlier. 

If I didn't, I'll get another roast from her!

"Tadaima...I bought some Taiyaki." I said calmly while trying to hide my nervousness.

"Oh? I like Taiyaki." 

"Me too!" 

The two of them both helped themselves with the food I bought while I ordered our food service.

I sighed in relief. 

"Oh, Yuko-chan, your birthday's coming up, right? Do you have some plans?" Okin-san said while we eat our dinner. 

My birthday? 

Oh, right. It's already December.

I already considered myself as 20 in advance though, is it still needed? 

"Yes. I'll be working at the old man's winery that day."

"Didn't you ask for a leave?" Masako-san then asked. 

"Most of the employees are on a vacation leave. The old man asked for my extended shift, I couldn't decline." 

"When does your shift ends?"

"10 in the evening, I think." 

Okin-san exclaimed and let out a complaining groan. 

"10! It's alright! We can have a drinking party at night, instead!" She then suggested.

I sweat-dropped to what she said.

Did I mention that the people I'm living with are greatly immune with alcohol? Their tolerance with that drink is insane, I've never seen them drunk whenever they have their drinking session. 

I tried joining them once and it was horrible. I only had one cup and then I can't remember anything afterwards.

I swore to myself I'm never going to drink again after that. 

"That's fine...but I'll only have tea, onee-san." I said clearly. 

Okin-san let out a laugh while Masako-san chuckled to herself. They were clearly amused by my situation, I know.

Sometimes, they even teased me about it and it's okay. It's not like I need to hide the fact that I'm weak with alcohol anyway.

I'm turning 20 and yet I still can't grasp the world of the adults very well.