Episode 45: Unexpected Collaboration

"Ne, Atsushi-kun, why are you afraid of your own ability?"

Atsushi looked at me a bit surprised.

It's been three weeks.

I agreed with Kunikida and Dazai to train Atsushi in combat and his ability once we're free, and here we are.

We'd always meet on weekends here in the vacant lot of the agency's dorm to train and today will be our fifth session.

The progress is...well...a bit slow.

"Afraid? Why? I'm not...no...am I?" Atsushi replied while pushing himself of the ground.

After our two hours of combat lessons, we spend another two hours for his ability. It's not really that much, we're just trying to see how he can utilize his own ability to its full capacity.

Strength, speed, senses, healing, and few attacks...that's pretty much all that Atsushi can use.

I mean, it's good...but considering that the tiger's even more powerful than that, it's a bit of a waste.

I offered my hand and helped him stood up. My eyes then scanned his body closely from head to toe.

Atsushi just stood still, frozen, as I was circling around him.

"Uhm...T-Tsushima-san?" He smiled nervously.

How should I explain this? How can I make him understand his own ability?

It's not even mine.

"I give up." I sighed tiredly.

"I'm very sorry!!! Sorry to disappoint you, Tsushima-san!" Atsushi immediately bowed and apologized in panic.

"No, I'm not disappointed, Atsushi-kun. Don't take it that way...I just said that because I think my methods isn't really effective to you."

I shouldn't have directly asked him to fight me with his ability. Actual experiences before understanding works for me, but I guess it's not the same for him.

Atsushi's too kind. Fighting head-on isn't the best way in making him use his ability to its fullest. He's smart and so I think we should go with concepts instead.

Why didn't I think of this?

"Rather than letting you figure it out, I'll just give the idea to you, Atsushi-kun. Then the rest is up to you if you can execute it."

Atsushi looked at me a bit confused but still nodded anyway.

"May I?" I showed him my hand again, letting him know that I'll manipulate his ability.

Atsushi-kun nodded.

"Okay. Listen carefully Atsushi-kun..."

One interesting thing I found out from our trainings, though, is that Atsushi's ability is different. Surprisingly, his ability is open with mine.

I can manipulate his gift even if it's not activated. I don't need to ask for him to activate it, I would only ask for permission though.

Ability: Territory of Light

I gestured my hand and Atsushi's arms and legs immediately transformed into a tiger's.

"This is how you usually use your ability, right? And you use them very well..."

I then activated his eyes and senses.

"Your eyes are sharp and can see further or closer compared to human's. If you use your ability on your eyes, as well, you can use them to see what your opponent's attack is. Use your eyes to see what they're about to do. Don't merely rely on your instinct and reflexes; you have two eyes and so use them." I threw three daggers without any warning, all aimed to his head.