Chapter 14

Paige POV

I woke up the next day. I was so comfortable. I felt safe. I was in someone's arms. I opened my eyes and indeed I was in someone's arms.

Thoughts of last night popped into my head and I freed myself from those arms and immediately stood up from the bed.

"Paige I'm sorry. It's me." Ethan said. I looked at Ethan.

"Oh my lord I'm so sorry" I said.

"What exactly are you sorry about?" He asked me.

"The police station. I'm sorry you had to pick me up I just I..." I couldn't think of what to say.

"Paige it's fine. I was so worried about you. The new chauffeur got lost. I tried calling you but your phone sent me to voicemail. I was so worried about you. Then I received a call from the police station. I was worried and relieved at the same time. When I got there I saw you and everything felt like it fell into place." He said.

"Oh. Thank you." I said. I looked down. We slept in the same bed together. How did that happen?

I heard him get off the bed. He came up to me and lifted my head with his index finger. "Paige what happened?" He asked me.

"Nothing. I was at the bus stop and these guys wanted my bag and I yelled for help." I looked away.

"Paige don't lie to me" he said.

"I'm not lying it's the truth" I said. Looking away.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you're not lying" he said. I looked at him and then looked away. I was such a horrible lair. "Why won't you tell me what happened to you? Last night you said he was going to find you and he was going to hurt you. Who is? What are you so afraid of?" he said looking at me with intense eyes.

"Ethan just drop it" I said.

"I can't drop it!" He yelled at me. He's never yelled at me. I flinched. He sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. "I'm sorry Paige. I didn't mean to yell at you. I just want to help you" he said. "I can't bear to so you like that again. I want to be able to protect you" he whispered. I sat down next to him.

I guess it was time to come clean. I sighed. "It was my stepbrother" I said. Ethan turned to look at me. I looked at the ground. "When I was 7 my dad died. My mom remarried some drunk when I was 9. She blamed me for my fathers death. He was taking me to swim practice when we got in a car accident and he was instantly killed. After that my mother was always cold towards me. One I turned 13 I got from school one day.  My stepdad wanted to get handsy with me and my mom got there in time. She stopped him from doing anything to me but he beat her up so bad she died in the hospital. My stepdad was sent to jail and his son blamed me for what happed. At the time he was 17 and had joined a gang. His dad was killed in prison and his stepson vowed to make me pay for it." I said. I could feel Ethans stare burning into me. "Yesterday after so many years I ran into him. He was going to take me with him. The police arrived right before he was able to take me. I punched him and ran towards the cops. He vowed he was going to make me pay." I whispered.

"Paige..."

"I understand if you want me to leave. I will. I don't want this to affect Sara or you." I stood up. "I'll go ahead and pack my stuff" Ethan grabbed my hand.

"Please sit down Paige. I don't want you to go anywhere. I want you to be ok." He whispered. I looked up at him.

"I have a lot of baggage Ethan. He's a gang leader or something. I don't want Sara or you wrapped up in it. I've been running from my past all my life and it finally caught up with me. I don't want anyone in danger because of me." I said looking down as tears escaped from my eyes.

"Paige I won't let anyone hurt you." He said. Then he kissed me. He hand both of his hand on either side of my face. His lips fell fabulous. I could get used to kissing Ethan. Then he pulled away. "Paige I'm sorry I..." he said.

"No Ethan I understand. I really do. Just don't ever do that again." I said running out of the room. I knew what he meant. He could never like someone like me. I wasn't up to his standards. He had a beautiful girlfriend. He didn't need someone like me in his life. Well his love life anyway.