15

The throne room was bathing in the sun that was about to set. Gold, yet not yet orange. Isolde was sitting on the throne next to Elora who was strapped onto hers with bonds that were made out of the liquid Isolde used. Isolde was sitting on the throne, overlooking a long list of requests she had been given, but didn't pay attention to any of it. Elora was sitting on the throne next to her but was not fully conscious, as she hadn't been for the last few days; slipping in and out of consciousness as Isolde found it fit for herself. Leif was sitting by the bottom of the stairs, not doing anything else, but staring through one of the many windows that were the walls of the throne room, through which he was able to see the dark clouds below the top of the tower. He had no idea what his mother was planning and he was scared.

A messenger ran into the room and practically threw himself on his knees in front of the throne. "Your Majesties, there is a young man at the gates, demanding your attention. He... he is saying he... had the princess."

Elora's face twitched, but she didn't move beyond that.

"Charlene?" asked Isolde and smiled. "Describe the man."

"Tall, black and silver hair, burns..."

"Amazing!" yelled Isolde and stood up. "Bring him here! As quickly as you can!" When the man turned around, she added, "Don't touch the girl. I want him to bring her." She walked down the stairs to Leif and grabbed his face so he was looking into her eyes. "This is how you get the job done."

Leif blinked in confusion. "But... he said they were engaged."

Isolde's eyes flashed in rage. "You didn't make sure they were?!"

"I would need to?"

Isolde let out a frustrated groan and hit Leif with a lightning bolt hard enough to knock him through one of the windows, breaking the glass which scattered all over the marble floor. Isolde fixed her hair and walked back to sit on the throne, like she hadn't just thrown her own son out of the window.

The door of the room opened and Auberon walked in with a huge grin on his face that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Isolde," he greeted.

"Is that Charlene?" asked Isolde and gestured to the figure, covered with his coat that seemed to be holding her in place, he had on his arm.

"Who else would it be?" asked Auberon and crossed his arms over his chest. "I brought you your stepdaughter. Give me my wish!"

Isolde laughed and walked down. "Ronno, sweetie," she said with a honey-like voice. "You really thought I would give you back your magic so you can attack me?"

Auberon rolled his eyes. "I don't care about my magic. I want my face back!" he yelled, his voice echoing through the room.

"Your face? Why? Are ladies no longer falling for you like they used?"

"You mean "you" used to?" he asked and raised his eyebrow. "Are you forgetting it, love?"

Isolde laughed and tilted her head. "How could I forget?" She bit her lip and moved closer to him. "We were just two dreamers."

"I was having fun, you enjoyed the thrill of being with a younger man."

"I wanted to make you my king," whispered Isolde, a flash of hurt being seen in her eyes, but it went away in a second. "I wanted you."

"I didn't want you. Still don't. Give me back my face!"

A guard walked in. "Your Majesty..."

"Get out!" yelled Isolde.

"But..."

"She told you to get out! The queen has guests do not disturb her," said Auberon with a cocky smile.

"You heard him"; hissed Isolde.

The guard had no other option than leaving and that was what she did.

"You're good," said Isolde and moved even closer to him.

Auberon made a horrified face. "Don't you dare touch me." He grabbed the arm that was still covered with his coat. "I brought her, now give me my wish!"

"You haven't changed a bit, have you?" asked Isolde. "Still all about you?" she huffed. "I actually thought you cared about her."

"Me? Care about this... princess?!" exclaimed Auberon like it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. "I just wanted my face back! I still do!"

"Then move away from her and let me take care of her," coldly said Isolde.

Auberon moved so he was standing between the two. "My wish first."

Isolde moved her hand and the coat fell off, sending Isolde into a rage when Beatrice winked at her.

Following the instructions on the handkerchief Charlene had in her hands turned out to be tougher than expected. Not only were there not enough details, but the light the torch she and Emmet had with them was not a good enough source of light for them to see efficiently. Somehow the two managed to get as close to the entrance of another secret tunnel that Charlene knew of. Charlene cracked open the door that turned out to be hidden behind a glowing tapestry on the wall. No one was in the hallway and the two continued their way through the cold stone.

Steps were heard and the two shared a look. Charlene managed to get to one of the doors, but Emmet didn't follow her. He pushed her into the room, closed the door and ran to the door. He yelled down it, "Go, go, go, go," and ran into another direction. More than half of the guards that were coming into his direction ran down the still opened secret passage and a few ran after Emmet, leading them into the opposite direction Charlene needed to take.

Charlene made sure she wasn't able to hear the footsteps anymore before she opened the door of the spare room and as quickly as she could without making too much noise closed the door of the secret passage. She ran up the stairs to reach her room, where she knew was another passage. This one leading to the throne room.