9

Beatrice had been worrying about her niece since her letters had stopped coming. They kept her informed about what was going on in the centre of the kingdom, with her sister-in-law and the situation that was going worse with each letter she received. Once the letters stopped coming she lost first hand information about what was going on in the main castle as well as track of the princess. Charlene told her she had been worrying for her own safety, which was concerning Beatrice way more than the loss of information about the politics.

She was in her garden when her servant came to tell her that someone was outside the gates, waiting for her to receive them. Beatrice would usually get worried when she was told it would be better if she had been the one to receive the newcomer, but she felt it was not someone negative as the servant had a gentle smile on her dark face. She quickly got rid of the gardening gloves and an apron. As quickly as she could, she made her way to the front gates and nodded to the guards to open it.

"Auntie!" exclaimed Charlene as soon as Beatrice was visible to her.

"Lenny!" exclaimed Beatrice and hugged her niece, sighing in relief. "You're alright."

Charlene buried her face in her aunt's red hair, inhaling her scent of pine trees and soil. "I am. I got out of the castle as soon as I could."

"You'll be safe here," whispered Beatrice and pulled back. With a quick glance at her clothes Beatrice smirked. "You need to change... and to take a bath."

"Beatrice?!" exclaimed Auberon, to which Emmet facepalmed.

"Ronno?" asked Beatrice with a serious expression. "What are you doing here?" she asked with ironic smile.

"Oh, you two know each other," said Charlene and smiled. "He's... he and Emmet helped me. We'll tell you everything, don't worry."

Beatrice looked at Auberon again. "Still under the curse?"

"Isn't it obvious?" he asked and raised his hands, giving her a better view of his hands that were not gloved for a change.

Beatrice nodded and took Charlene's hands in hers. "Let's get you all to freshen up, shall we?" She pulled Charlene in and the two men followed.

The goonkers appeared where Charlene and Auberon were last seen by Isolde's men. Isolde watched what the creatures were seeing in the bowl with her mysterious liquid and realised they landed close to the border. She clenched her elegant jaw and ordered them to follow the path that led to the castle. She could only hope Charlene hadn't reached the castle boundaries yet. But soon the goonkers were destroyed and so was the view she had in her bowl.

Isolde groaned in frustration and ran out of the room. She made her way down to the throne room, where Elora was sitting on the throne and just staring into the empty room in front of her. "Honey," said Isolde with a sweet voice that was reeking of fakeness. Elora didn't move a muscle. "I know where my daughter-in-law is."

Elora slowly turned her head and looked at her. "What? You've found Charlene?"

"Well..." said Isolde and sat down on her throne next to her. "My goonkers have been destroyed by seemingly nothing."

Elora's eyes went wide. "Beatrice?" she whispered in almost a disbelief that her daughter was able to come that far.

Isolde nodded. "That's right. Your former sister-in-law has my son's bride."

"You cannot reach her there," said Elora, her voice fell flat. "What do you want?"

"I just came to tell you where she is. Thought you might be interested." Isolde fixed her golden hair. "Where is Leif?"