Chapter 32 - Schedules

ADAM

Being able to drive again and work longer hours has made me feel almost normal again. Sometimes I see things around the club that need attention and I struggle to not take care of them. I know I need to trust that Erin and Noah will take care of stuff, but their speed isn't as fast as mine.

My parents went home a few days ago and I wish they could have stayed longer. Three weeks away from their bed and breakfast was a luxury and they needed to return to their commitments. On the Saturday before they left, Mom went to do a bit of last minute shopping  as the options in Sea Glass are limited to beachwear, and I took the opportunity to spend one-on-one time with Dad. I used to go to Lonstino often on my free days to see them and talk to him, and I miss that since they moved away. Dad listens without judgment and his advice isn't based on personal opinion. He comes up with scenarios to help me come to an informed decision.

We went to O'Brien's, the best bakery in Greenwood, where he ordered a coffee and a large piece of pie. Even though everything in that place is delicious, most of it is on the list of things I'm not allowed to eat. I opted for a bowl of fruit and yogurt and didn't waste time on what I wanted to talk about with my Dad.

"I think Erin got engaged too soon. Of course, she's happy with Matt and no doubt he loves her, but they've known each other for barely three months. She won't talk about the night of her attack, which to me means that she's still not over that. Matt basically just broke up with his ex, who came by the club one night and caused a scene."

"You've known Claire for shorter than that and you two are practically living together," Dad shrugged while sipping on his coffee.

"But we are not getting married yet. Committing to a life together is a big step. I spent five years with Melissa and things didn't work out."

"I agree that it is a big step. Erin is fully grown woman and knows the consequences of accepting a proposal. Matt told me about his life, the good and the bad. I know everything about the breakup that made him end at the club and how he met Erin. He also told me about his parents and the struggle to mediate with them growing up. They were so busy trying to find ways to make each other miserable that they didn't realize how much they were neglecting their son. The only thing Matt wants is someone who loves him, accepts him as he is, and gives him his space and some peace. He has found that in Erin."

"I only hope that Erin finds what she needs in him."

"I believe she has. Erin told me that Matt takes care of her without being overprotective while the rest of you suffocate her. She knows you all do it from the goodness of your heart and concern for her safety, but making her feel like a frail victim isn't doing her any good. What she likes most about him is how he makes every moment they are together count. Whether that is during a simple meal at a deli or a phone call while he's away for his work. When they grow old together, they'll enjoy each other's company more than just the intimate aspect of a relationship."

"I didn't know she felt like that."

"Maybe you should ask her one day. Matt is a good guy and if he tries something that your sister doesn't agree to, I'm sure she will rip his balls," he laughed while shoving a huge piece of pie in his mouth. His comment made me feel uncomfortable somehow. "Adam, relationships... Need to chew..." He lifts a finger to ask for a moment. "Relationships, commitments and marriage don't have an estimated time to begin. Your mom and I got married after knowing each other for one week. We were in a class in college together and I invited her for coffee at my dorm room. We talked for endless hours, shared food and my bed. I asked her to marry me on that night, and because we had an exam we had to study for, we had to wait, otherwise I would have married her the day after. We were both twenty years old, wore jeans, and said I do."