Chapter 8 - Glow

ADAM

It seems that Erin decided to come to the club earlier than usual and I'm glad that I didn't have to interrupt my work to pick her up. I had a terrible night, twisting and turning in my bed when an irritating cough wasn't waking me up. My primary responsibility is to run a profitable business and that means making sure my employees work under healthy and safe conditions.

I don't know what Duncan is capable of, but I don't want to find out either. When we went this morning to pick Imogen's stuff from her apartment, it seemed as if he had spent the night elsewhere. We worked fast to pack her clothes and a few personal possessions in bags and brought them to Rory's apartment. It was shocking to see the bruise he left on her and I had to hold my tongue, because none of the words in my head for him were kind. I tried to match Imogen's positive mood and not let myself go off on a rant.

She'll be okay with Rory and being close to the club means I can give her a ride to the apartment when her shift is over. I would have offered her to stay with me also, any of us would have done the same, but my studio only has one bedroom.

"Did you sleep at all?" Erin comes up the stairs and sets her laptop on the table I'm working at.

"Some. Getting the news about Imogen was unsettling. You?"

"I did, even when Sam slept next to me. He was the one who had a rotten night," she sits in front of me and starts to open a folder.

"Sam? Our Sam? You and Sam?"

"Oh, don't be an idiot. We were talking on my bed about what happened between Imogen and Duncan and passed out. It's been a long time since I had sex."

I place my hands on my ears and hum loudly, because the fact that my sister has had sex still perturbs me.

"Fuck off!" She pulls my hands off my ears. "You have been too overprotective lately and is driving me nuts!"

I have no other choice. Seeing Erin hurt and vulnerable on the night of her attack broke my heart. It felt as if I got hurt together with her. I love my sister and I'll do anything to make sure she's okay.

"I'm sorry. Too many things in my head. Will you clear the air with Noah? I don't know exactly what happened between you two, but that last set was odd."

"Is he here?"

"Not yet, he had a few client projects this morning."

"Good, because I still need to gather my thoughts. You know I love Noah a lot, as much as I love Sam, and I feel terrible that I can't reciprocate his feelings. That's pretty much what happened."

"That's shit for him, but I completely understand how you feel."

The annoying irritation in my wind pipe returns and before bursting into a cough I grab the inhaler from my bag. Erin has a worried look in her face as I take the medicine.

"Are you getting ill again?"

"I'm not sick. Stop looking at me like that, Erin. I'm only preventing going into a cough fit."

"When was the last time you saw a doctor?"

"I don't need to go to the doctor for this. It's a waste of time to hear him say what I know I have since I was born."

"I wish you weren't so stubborn. Everyone is worried about you. You look like shit."

"Gee, thanks, I love you too."

"I'm being serious."

"Well, if everyone wants to take care of everything I need to do or think about to keep this place running I can have the luxury of resting."