Winter is getting closer to an end as the weather warms up. Enya finished her training and is now coming with me four times a week. Her plant identification is better than some trained foragers in her commitment to learning she has excelled past anyone's expectations. She is safer with me but more and more I feel like I am more of a danger to her than the witch. If I ever did hurt her, I don't know what I would do. It's been months since Jen and Kaitlyn died, I don't know when my family died but I can't help but feel like it is my fault. Pair training has been fun, Enya seems sot be enjoying it very much when she gets to come train with me. She mostly likes seeing Damon and Eric get their butts kicked.

Closing the door to my room quietly a small head pops up from the top bunk. "Enya how many times have I said to go to sleep when Sam says so."

She smiles sheepishly "but I want to see you when you come back."

sighing I quickly change before leaning my head on the bars on the top bunk. "How was your day little one?" She jumps into a wild explanation of the new spells Clarice taught her and the other kids. She is so happy now that she is ahead of the others in her class in everything even magic. "Your parents would be so proud," I whisper hugging her "now let's go to bed we have an early morning."

She hugs me tight before shutting her eyes. I watch her for a few moments as her breathing evens out. Smiling I brush her hair out of her eyes "night little one."

"WEEEEEAAaaaa hahaha," I laugh at Enya's loud cry as I jump over another fallen tree. "Again again," she cries tightening her legs around my shoulders. Maneuvering around some of the zombies I jump over a tree in my path flying through the air.

Stopping in our normal clearing Enya slides off my shoulders. Melting the rest of the snow in the area I smile at Enya's wonder-filled eyes as she watches the snow rapidly melt. "Okay, so today we are going to try the barrier spell again let's try and hold it for five minutes today okay little one."

She nods skipping to the other side of the clearing and taking her stance. I wait as she mumbles the incantation watching as her purple shield forms. Not waiting for a second longer I launch some ice in her direction. It deflects off the barrier with ease, element after element I watch as Enya gets tired as the minutes pass. The barrier holds firm long passed five minutes, as fifteen minutes pass she begins to falter.

"Okay your good," Enya drops the barrier slumping into the trees behind her. Walking over to her I give her her water bottle. "You did the good little one you held that strong for fifteen minutes."

She smiles drinking the water, I watch as she jumps full of new energy after finishing half of the water. She hands the water bottle back to me as she looks at her hands playing with her gloves "Kaindra can you teach me to fight?"

Taken aback by her question I drop the water bottle she handed to me. Picking it up I eye her "why do you want to know how to fight?"

She shrugs "it might be helpful I know how to use magic but if I ever was in trouble without you there I wouldn't know how to defend myself."

Floating the water bottle back to our bags I go down to her level "you're right Enya it is helpful but you have to remember knowing how to fight can not be used lightly. You can hurt someone, that can change you."

"I know," she whispers.

Taking in her saddened face I can't help but picture myself in her position. Sighing I run my hand over my hair, teaching her to fight will be useful for her as she won't need me to protect her as much. If I teach her the proper way to fight honourably she won't be pushed to go to someone else.

"I don't see why I can't teach you something." She beams running into the middle of the clearing. Following her, I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm.

She bounces on her feet excitement radiating off her. "We won't start learning any fighting yet, the first thing I ever learned when I was being taught was the history of fighting. Learning history is critical in understanding your opponent and how you will fight. It also helps you build the moral code that you follow, each person's moral code is unique to them much like their style."

"What is your moral code?"

I smile brushing some loose hair behind her ear "that is for me to know but I can tell you one." Her puppy eyes are so hard not to look at but she doesn't need to use them. "To protect my loved ones and never do them any harm that is my main moral."

"That means me too right?"

"Why of course Enya you are my sister my family." Her face brightens even more. Her eyes glisten with unshed tears. "Ohh Enya don't cry." Wiping a tear off her cheek I pull her into a tight hug.

Her face hides in the crook of my neck as I hold her tight "I never thought I would have a family again." We stay like that for some time embracing one another. We pull away once Enya's last tear falls. She laughs "I got your neck wet, " laughing I wave my hand denying her tears.

"It doesn't matter. Now do you want to start or not?" She nods rapidly sitting on the ground tapping my chin I eye Enya. "Hmm well, where should we start... let's begin with the first witch coven some of the most fierce warriors to this day..."

Enya pays close attention to every word I say. Wonder glimmers in her gold-rimmed eyes hearing about her ancestors and the other species in a new light. Rarely witch families will teach their kids their warrior history going for the line of peace. They are the only species to do this but I find the witch's stories to be the most fascinating. Probably as they are the closest to casters as you can get. If only I knew my ancestry.

Checking the time I pull Enya to her feet "time to go next time we will start on your foundation and defence without magic first." She smiles whistling as she skips over to her bag. The run back is light-hearted as we talk and laugh making jokes about anything and everything.

Kevin stands waiting as we enter the gate a small smile on his face. "What is it, Kevin?" I ask letting Enya down.

"I just wanted to inform you that at the end of the week all forager teams are going back to their normal foraging including you." Enya stands at my side looking up at Kevin.

Enya raises her head to me "does that mean I get to go with you and your group?"

Kevin beats me in her answer "yes Enya you will get to be an honorary member of my group."

Her smile widens "you're Kaindras group leader."

He nods "yes and you are now part of my group." He smiles at her causing her to hide slightly behind my legs. Kevin returns his attention to me "remember Friday you are with your group again."

"Yes sir," I salute making him laugh as he walks away. With my group again how exciting.

Comment, vote, and share