Chapter 5 - Potions

Then we headed down to the dungeon where our Potions class would be held in the dungeon and I couldn't wait for this class. I sat down next to Harry in the front before getting all my things out for class. Then he started with calling role like he didnt really want to do it which I had a feeling was the opposite. Although he paused when he mentioned Harry's name and turned to look at him. "Ah, yes, Harry Potter. Our new - celebrity." I just smiled at Harry knowing Snape was just trying to toughen him up but he just wasn't understanding. He did the same thing with me but I could tell that he softened up when he said it to me. "You are here to learn the subtle science and and exact art of potion-making. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I dont expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even put a stopper on death - if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." While he was saying all that I was writing it all down so I could remember it all, I noticed Harry was writing down something but I wasn't sure what exactly he was writing.

"Potter!" Harry and I both jumped since we didn't know who he was referring to but from the looks of it I'd say he was talking to Harry. "What would I try if I added powdered rot of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" I could tell by Harrys look that he had no idea what he was talking about which had me inwardly groaning. "I dont know sir." Professor Snape just sneered at him which had me wondering why but I also knew it wasn't polite to just come out and ask. "Tut, tut - fame clearly isn't everything. Serena can you answer it?" I looked up at him surprised since I figured he would keep asking Harry questions but I took a deep breath looking at him. "They make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death." It was silent in the room since we were all waiting for his answer but I just stared at him knowing I had the right answer. "Correct, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar? Potter?" I sighed knowing he was going to be doing this for this all class and to help him get better at this. "I dont know sir." He then turned to look at me which had me sighing slightly knowing he was trying to show our difference in knowledge. "A Bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons." He seemed pleased when I said that which had me happy since I was impressing my professor which was something not everyone could do. "Correct Serena, what is the difference between monkswood and wolfsbane."

My head shot up from writing it down to see that he was looking at Harry who yet again answered with he didnt know. Then he turned to look at me which had me inwardly groaning knowing he needed to study some more to get better. "There the same plant, they also go by the name of aconite sir." He turned around while walking to his desk before he turned back around to look at us but I had already written everything down. "Well? Why aren't you all coping that down?" I could hear people behind me immediately pulling out there quills and paper to write it all down. "And a point with be taken from Gryffindors for your check Potter." Then we started working with making Potions which was fun but I didnt like the person I was paired with since she kept talking about how she wanted to be with Draco. However I managed to get the potion done correctly well that is until Neville's exploded, however it seemed like a barrier formed around me, protecting me. However when it went down I felt really dizzy, my vision starting getting hazy before I fainted and I dont know what happened after. When I woke up again I realized I was in the infirmary but wondered how I had gotten there. When Madam Pomfrey came over I asked her what happened but she held out a drink for me to drink down which I did thankfully. It was shortly after that Professor Snape came into the infirmary and over to me seeming glad that I was alright and awake. "You gave us quiet a scare there Ms. Potter when you suddenly collapsed like that." I looked at him confused but then remembered about what happened in the Potions class which had me sighing.