~ warm tears ~

~ you're a beautiful thing, we're a beautiful thing together, even widen the weather is low ~

The cackling of my record player was a calming sound. The music had just stopped but I didn't bother flipping the vinyl. Instead I set down my glass of wine with a deep breath. I had just spent twenty minutes on the phone with Aaron, a long twenty minutes. We talked as if we never stopped talking. Neither of us bringing up our past but talking about the now. Abut Jack and the team, my job, Haley's dad.

Then he had a case, something I both understand and was used to. So much had happened in the last four years but it was like no time had passed between us. I was itching to tell him about Everette but I knew it would be better to tell him in person. She wanted it, I would have never told him I was coming to Virginia if she didn't want me too. Eve wanted to meet her dad and uncle Rossi. She wanted to meet Spencer and Derek. I had absolutely no reason to tell her no so that was the plan.

Hopping over to me with a huge smile on her face, Eve plops in my lap, "Do you think daddy will like me?" She asks. Smiling down at her I nod, "Aaron's going to love you."

"Will he be mad at me?"

"Why would he be mad at you?"

"Because I had the choice to meet him all this time and I chose not to."

I sigh, pulling her into me, "Eve that was your choice. He's your daddy. Aaron might be mad at me for not telling him about you but he's a smart guy, he'll understand why."

"So he won't hate me?"

"Aaron hates three people in this whole world for very good reasons, you are and I will never be one of them."

She nods, then laughs slightly.

I look down at her with a wry smile, "What baby?"

She laughs harder, shaking her head, "Daddy's middle name is Everette.." she chuckles. I laugh with her, kissing her head.

"Ya, that is pretty funny huh."

*

I stare down at my phone in deep thought. I needed someone you know? I just needed to talk and have them listen. Penelope wasn't an option, she would worry to much. JJ would go all motherly and I didn't need that. Emily would send one of her friends, Clyde, and I also didn't need that. Spencer wouldn't know how to respond. It was about Aaron so that wasn't an option. That left Derek and Rossi. Honestly Rossi probably already knew about Everette.

Clicking Dave's name, I listen to the ring lying against my headboard. How would he react.

'Dani?'

I smile, "David."

He's silent. I clear my throat, "Uh, I'm throwing a party at your house for Christmas eve." I state.

He chuckles, 'Are you now?'

"Yes."

'Is that all?'

Swallowing thickly, I lick my dry lips, "Uh, I- I think you know already," I laugh slightly, "In fact I think you've known this whole time. But I- Eve, her names Eve." a tear falls down my tan cheek.

David sighs out, "I've been keeping track." he admits.

Letting out a deep breath through O shaped lips, I sniff slightly, "I didn't do that wrong thing did I? Like, I made the right decision? Aaron he'll, he will understand right?" warm tears cradle in the waterline of my eyes as I try to hold them in. It had been awhile since I had cried and it was weird for me.

'Do you think you made the right decision.'

"I did at the time. I- I was so sure of myself." I nod, "I thought that leaving would be what was best for the both of us. I mean he was at the peak of his career, he just took down a mafia leader. Another kid on top of Jack, he's a good dad but he's not around as much as he should be. I can't- couldn't raise that kid myself waiting. I had to do it with either just me or the both of us and I knew that, that wasn't going to happen with Aaron. But Eve, god she's so worried he'll hate her. She's almost  5, she doesn't need to be worrying about that. I mean- he won't- he won't hate her right? I mean I can take whatever he throws at me but Everette she can't- I won't let her be hurt by him." I cut myself off, swallowing down a sob that was trying to crawl up my throat.

David takes in a breath,  'Aaron hates very few people in the world Dani, you know that. You or Eve could never be on that list. He loves you Francesca, he really does. That's why he let you go. I just hope you know he won't let you go that easily again, especially if he is to become aware of Eve's existence.' he states.

I nod even though he wouldn't be able to see me, "I know and maybe that's why I didn't tell him in the first place but- Everette really, really wants to meet him, I could see it on her face when he called. That's her daddy and she deserves the option to be in his life as much as he deserves the option to be in hers and I really regret not giving it to him." The warm tears finally fall, dripping non stop down my cheeks.

'Dani he's going to understand.'

"How can you understand taking some ones kid away from them?"

'You had every reason and every right to not involve him in her life. We all betrayed your trust and from what you read on your file everything you ever thought he felt for you probably felt like a lie. I get that, but he loved you, he still does. I just wish you guys met under normal circumstances.'

I smile, tears rolling over my lips leaving a salty taste on my tongue when I lick them, "Me too."

'You deserve love Dani. People tend to surround themselves with the kind of people they think they deserve and that's why you stuck around with Hayes and with all those other men. Aaron was too good to be true. That's why you didn't scream and yell when you found out, you were ready for the two of you to fall apart. You didn't fight for what you two had because you didn't feel as if you deserved it. You deserve it Dani, I just wish you could see that.'

I hold my bottom lip hostage under my top lip, hoping it would stop trembling, "I-"

'Dani get some sleep okay, it's late. I love you.'

I had never said I love you to anyone but my daughter, the words being to much of a commitment for me. I never liked the finality of them. The sealed promise they bring. Maybe the true reason was anyone I had ever said it to ended up really hurting me so I just gave up.

"Goodnight David."