Taylor heads to the back, busying herself with her work, as Elle closes the distance between her and Awsten.

"Hey, angel," she greets, quietly.

Awsten feels like half a weight is lifted off of his shoulders as she uses his nickname, and he lets out a relieved sigh.

"I'm sorry," Elle apologises, catching him completely off guard.

"What?" Awsten furrows his brows, titling his head at her slightly. "What are you sorry for? I'm the one that came to apologise."

"I turned my phone off," she shrugs. "I didn't see all of your calls, and I feel really bad for not answering, so I'm sorry, I just-"

"Hey, hey, no," he shakes his head, placing his hands on her shoulders, as she looks up at him. "I have some explaining to do, but you don't have to apologise, okay?"

"But, I-"

"No, no buts," he interrupts, earning a pout, which he can't help but crack a smile at.

Elle looks around, noticing Taylor loitering in the back corner, to which she rolls her eyes. "Maybe we should go outside," she suggests, and Awsten agrees easily, opening the door for her, allowing her to step out.

The two of them stand just outside of the small florist's, leaning their backs against the wall, as there's a brief silence that falls over them.

"Elle, I'm really sorry," Awsten speaks up after a moment, his words filled with sincerity.

She nods in response, pulling her sleeves over her hands, her gaze falling to her fingers as she picks at the fabric. "Why did you let me go like that?" Elle asks, quietly, and Awsten's heart aches at the way her voice wavers.

"It was an automatic reaction, I'm sorry," he sighs. "I know it's a shitty excuse, but I'm working on it," he musters up the best answer he can for now, because he's not ready to fully explain his feelings for her. "It felt like we were getting caught and I just- I got scared."

"I don't want you to be scared," Elle frowns, looking up at him.

"Me neither but, sometimes it just happens," Awsten shrugs, meeting her gaze. "It's a little complicated, I think my brain got the better of me."

"Yeah, mine too," Elle nods. "I just thought it was the start of the end, I guess."

"What? Elle, no," he shakes his head quickly. "No, never," he ducks his head slightly to meet her eye line.

"Never?" She looks at him, with hopeful eyes, and Awsten swears that in that moment, he can see every emotional bruise that's been left behind, all over her.

"Never, ever," he assures her, and she takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Aws," she gives him a soft look. "I forgive you."

"Can we hug now?" He asks, innocently.

Elle nods eagerly, as Awsten opens his arms for her; he doesn't expect her to hug him as tightly as she does, but he welcomes it, holding her just as tight in return.

"L word you," she mumbles against the fabric of his shirt, before leaning back to look up at him.

Awsten smiles sweetly, his heart swelling at her words as he tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "L word you," he responds, and Elle moves her arms to around his neck, pushing herself onto her tip toes to hold him close to her again.

"Can we go back to my place?" Elle asks, her voice slightly muffled against Awsten's hair.

"Yeah, of course," he agrees easily, his hands resting on her lower back as she pulls away hesitantly.

"Oh, wait, I forgot my tea," Elle frowns. "It's inside."

"I'll get it," Awsten offers, heading into the shop before she can get a chance to argue.

He quickly spots her takeaway cup sat on the counter, before Taylor catches his eye.

"You two okay now?" She inquired, her eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, we're all good," Awsten nods in response. "Is she okay, though?"

"As far as I know," Taylor sighs. "I think she just had a weird night last night," she tells him. "She was worried about fucking up with you, plus Alex has still been texting her, and it fucks with her head a little more than she'll let on."

"I wish I could take it all away," Awsten frowns, hating the idea of Elle struggling, especially without him by her side.

"You help her, though," Taylor vies for his eye contact. "You know that, right?"

"I mean, I guess," he replies.

"No, seriously," she reiterates. "I don't think anyone else really gets her like you do, not even me," Taylor admits. "And as much as I'm her best friend, you two are really something else."

A smile tugs at the corner of Awsten's lips at her words, as he avoids making eye contact with Taylor in an attempt to suppress the pink that tints his cheeks.

"Just don't hurt her, Knight, or I'm afraid I will have to ruin you," she warns. "And I don't want to do that, you're a good one."

"Thank you," Awsten nods appreciatively. "I won't hurt her, that's the last thing I want."

"Good, now don't keep her waiting," Taylor gestures towards Elle standing outside the window. "Her tea will go cold, and she hates that."

Awsten offers her a smile, before heading out to rejoin Elle.

"Bloody hell, Aws," Elle sighs. "Where did you go to find that tea? Fucking England itself?"

Awsten giggles as he hands her the cup, thankful that she's seemed to perk up.

Elle loves the way he laughs, finding her comment overly amusing, as they walk back to her apartment.

//