92

*tw: sexual assault*
there's a continuation of the sexual assault themes from chapter 90 for a little bit at the beginning. its a description of one of elle's bad dreams - the dream is all in italics if you want to skip that! pls be careful and feel free message me if you want to talk about anything i've written here! <3*

JULY 2019

The lights go down and Elle remains on stage for a moment, listening to the sound of the crowd, before walking backwards to exit.

She isn't sure why she's walking backwards, but before she gets a chance to turn around, she's tripping and falling down the steps behind her.

Elle braces herself for any sort of impact, but nothing happens. Instead, she finds herself stood on her feet, in the venue's green room.

The door is wide open, and she can see the crew bustling around the backstage area, but she has no idea how she got here.

It suddenly grows much louder, as it appears that another act is playing on stage, and the air around her feels suffocatingly hot.

Most of the tension in her chest seems to fade when she spots Awsten through the door way; he smiles brightly and waves.

Elle's shoulders relax, realising he's on his way to see her, until he pauses momentarily, as a crew member catches his attention.

The bass is now vibrating through the floor, the sensation sending unnerving tingles through Elle's body, setting her on edge; the feeling is only heightened when she feels hot breath on her neck.

She swallows thickly, as a sickeningly familiar pair of lips attach themselves to her neck.

"Alex, no," Elle pushes her words out, as best as she can, but they appear to come out silent; she's trying to move, but she can't.

The next few moments come in disturbing flashes.

There's a panicked look on Awsten's face, and a seemingly never-ending crowd that's stopping him from reaching Elle.

She feels like she's being swallowed up, like Alex is dragging her down a dark, spiralling hole in the ground, while his touch is burning into her.

Elle inhales a sharp breath, flinching violently, which causes her to jolt awake.

Her palms feel sweaty and her head feels light as she tries to catch her breath.

It's not until she feels the bed dip beside her that she remembers that Awsten is next to her.

"Hey, hey, what's going on?" He coos, softly, sitting up next to her. Awsten cautiously puts his arms around her, now feeling the way her body is trembling slightly. "It's okay, just breathe."

Elle takes a deep breath in, as he rubs slow circles on her back. "I'm sorry," she lets out a sigh, still trying to steady her breathing.

"It's okay, don't apologise," Awsten shakes his head. "Are you okay? Do you need me to get you anything?"

Elle shrugs, pulling her hair over her shoulder, hating the way it feels like it's sticking to the back of her neck from heat.