109

OCTOBER 2019

In total, Awsten and Elle end up going on seven dates in one day. Any normal person probably wouldn't count it that way, but they have, because they had to be just a little over the top.

Their last date of the day is just dinner at a cute restaurant; it's fairly small, and has a homely feel to it.

Elle thought it was just going to be the two of them, until Awsten apparently had one more surprise up his sleeve.

"So, I know we're trying to spend like, as much time together as possible," he starts, scooting around the booth so that he's beside her. "But, I had an idea, and I don't want you to be mad that we're not alone."

"What do you mean?" She looks at him oddly for a moment, taking his hand. "What would I be mad about—"

Elle cuts herself off as she spots two familiar faces entering the restaurant; Taylor and Ethan.

"Oh my god," her eyes widen, as Taylor grins, coming closer to the table; Elle gets up from her seat and hugs her tightly. "What're you guys doing here?" She asks, pulling away to give Ethan a quick hug.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm here to eat," he comments, sliding in on the other side of the booth.

"You didn't think I'd let you spend all of your time off with just your boyfriend, did you?" Taylor raises an eyebrow, now that all four of them are seated again, and Elle blushes.

"How many dates did you actually manage to squeeze into one day, man?" Ethan asks Awsten, once everyone has ordered their food.

"This is the seventh," he answers.

"Seven?" Ethan repeats, with wide eyes, earning a nod. "Holy shit, that's like—"

"Seven weeks worth, if we go by one date a week," Awsten grins, clearly proud of himself. "One for each week Elle is gone for tour, including the next two."

"Seriously?" Elle turns to him, with an adorable expression on her face, and he nods. "You're fucking insane," she giggles, pecking his lips quickly, to which he smiles even wider.

"I didn't think you two could get more disgusting," Taylor shakes her head.

"Oh, shut up," Elle rolls her eyes, leaning further into Awsten's side.

At various parts of the evening, Awsten feels his mind drift slightly; he feels guilty for it, but he can't seem to stop it. But, Elle seems to be doing the same, right beside him.

It's the looming thought of Awsten leaving in the morning that's getting to both of them; though, they know they should probably be focussing in on the present.

Every once in a while, Elle squeezes his hand; Awsten isn't sure whether it's more for herself, or for him, but it seems to ground him nonetheless.

When their evening comes to a close Taylor and Ethan go back to their apartment, now that they're officially moved in together, and Awsten and Elle's drive back to his place is spent in a somber quiet.

Awsten is holding her hand over the console, and the only noise is the hum of the radio, until Elle's phone begins to ring, and she looks at the caller ID oddly.

"Who is it?" Awsten asks, shooting her a look.

"It's Erik, from the label," she replies, before accepting the call. "Hello?"

"Hi, Elle," Erik answer. "Are you busy?"

"Uh, not overly. I'm out, at the moment, though. Is everything okay?" Elle replies.