Chapter 32

The cold breeze of the winter night flows through the streets of New York in a gentle whistle, blowing the dust of a collapsed church around which swirls around the feet of a certain Auror. Percival stands before the wreckage with mild curiosity and excitement, twirling his wand around his fingers as his dark eyes scanned over the scene before waltzing over to the wrecked building. Upon entering with the moonlight slipping through the gaps of the roof, Chastity lays dead under debris from a certain accident-- or attack. Percival then comes across Mary Lou's dead body with certain markings on her face, ones similar to Senator Shaw's. He examines her corpse with no look of horror but with ever growing curiosity and interest before the sounds of broken sobs are heard echoing from deep within the church's wreckage which makes the man walk further in. There sitting curled up in a ball at the back of the church, Credence shook and whimpered while gripping the Deathly Hallows pendant. Percival steps over to the young man quickly and cradles his head against his chest and with little gentleness in his voice he asks, "The Obscurial-- was here? Where did she go?"

     The pale and shaking Credence looked up at Percival with pleading eyes for affection, "H-Help me... Help me..." He whimpered, but Percival brushes off his pleads.

     "Didn't you tell me you had another sister?" He asked.

     Credence begins to cry again, "Please h-help me..." He cried as Percival placed a hand on the back of his neck with his face changing from gentle to stress, all while trying to remain calm.

     "Where's your other sister, Credence?" He pressed, "The little one? Where did she go?"

     With a tremble and mumble, Credence once more says, "Please help me-...!"

     SLAP!

     Credence stares in shock as Percival struck him hard across the face with a vicious look in his eyes. "Your sister's in grave danger," The Auror urged impatiently, "We need to find her." Credence continued to stare up at his hero in shock, still trying to process the slap across his face not too long ago that left a stinging sensation. With a huff of impatience and irritation, Percival grabs Credence by the arm and pulls the young man up onto his feet before the two Disaparate.

~

     As Newt and (Y/n) talked, joking around with their free friends to lighten up the mood, a loud crack of thunder and lightening is heard coming from the Thunderbird biome. The group quickly head over to check what was happening as the beast rose into the air while screeching, flapping its wings vigorously with its body turning black and gold, eyes flashing lightening.

     "What's happening?" (Y/n) asked as gusts of wind blew over them.

     "Danger," Newt answers, "He senses danger."

~

     Credence leads Percival down a deserted street into a tenement building. Once inside, the two start to ascend the stairwell of the very miserable and dilapidated building. "What is this place?" Percival asks while scanning the area, wand in hand.

     "Ma adopted Modesty out of here. From a family of twelve," Credence explained, following after Percival, "She still misses her brothers and sisters. She still talks about them." He states before stopping in the middle of the stairwell, still internally shocked about the events earlier that night.

     "Where is she?" Percival asked while looking at the multitude of doorways stretching out in the hallways.

     The young man looks down, "I don't know..." He answered solemnly. This causes Percival to glare at Credence, his impatience finally reaching it's toll as he marched to one of them rooms.

     "You're a Squib, Credence. I could smell it off you the minute I met you." Percival states bluntly, making Credence's face fall.

     "W-What...?" He asked as Percival marches back along the corridor to try another room, his care for the young man suddenly gone and forgotten.

     "You have magical ancestry, but no power."

     "B-But you said you could teach me--"

     "You're unteachable. Your mother's dead. That's your reward." Percival stated nonchalantly with a cold expression, "I'm done with you." He said before walking up another floor, leaving Credence behind. The young man stared after the Auror as his breathing becomes quick and irregular, as if he's trying to hold something back. Percival moves through the different dark rooms before sensing tiny movement somewhere close, "Modesty?" He calls out before moving in cautiously into a old schoolroom at the end of the corridor. Modesty curls up cowered into a corner, her eyes wide with fear and her body shaking as she watched Percival approach her, "Modesty..." He said in a gentle tone while bending over and putting his wand away, once more playing the soothing parent, "There's no need to be afraid. I'm here with your brother, Credence."

     Modesty's breath hitches and she whimpers in terror at the mention of her older brother's name, "Out you come, now..." Percival coaxed gently to the child with a hand extended out to her. A faint jingle is heard in the dead silent room along with cracks forming along the ceiling as it cracks and spreads out like a web. Dust falls from the cracks and the walls begin to shake vigorously with the room beginning to crumble around them. Percival looks at Modesty who is terrified and obviously not the source of the magic, he slowly draws his wand and looks over at the wall before it collapses like sand which reveals another wall that also collapses, the pattern continuing before the last wall collapses and reveals Credence. The young man glared daggers at the Auror and at that moment, Percival realizes he made a ginormous error. Credence shakes in fury as he is unable to control it with his sense of betrayal and bitterness. "Credence..." Percival started softly, "I owe you an apology..."

     "I trusted you. Miss (L/n) said I could trust you." Credence said shakily through clenched teeth, "I thought you were my friend. That you were different." His face begins to become contorted, his rage tearing through him from within.

     "You can control it, Credence..." Percival said softly. 

     Credence finally makes eye contact with the man he had once looked up to, and with a menacing whisper, he says, "But I don't think I want to, Mr. Graves..." 

A/N: Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii everyone! Sorry for the long update >.< Life's been crazy and shit with like college and covid. I hope you're all doing well. it's currently 5 in the morning because I had started writing this chapter at 12 in the morning so I'm rather sleepy rn =w= so sorry for this like half assed author's note ^^" anywayyyyyy, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Vote and comment if chu wants. and I'll see youuuuuu guys in the next chapter! baiiiiiiiiiiii <3