Day 29: New Coworkers

"To make it brief, we've merged with another company."

Grian barely paid attention. Another partnership, bound to break in a week he was sure. It wasn't the first time he'd heard it, and he thought he knew what to expect.

He was a blueprints designer with a part-time job as a gardner. Nothing interesting, nothing special, just him with his blueprints and bluebells. He enjoyed his job, don't get him wrong, he just found it boring, nothing new ever happening.

"I'd like everyone in the blueprints department to come with me, you guys will be working the closest with our new partners."

Grian let out a quiet sigh and stood up, along with a few other coworkers he didn't know. Not that he hadn't tried to be friends, he had, but most of his coworkers were cold and distant. Fun.

He followed his boss into the next room, absentmindedly doodling roof patterns in his head.

"I'd like you guys to meet our blueprints department." Grian heard his boss go on, but Grian was off in his own little world, fidgeting with his sweater and staring off into space at the floor.

"-they go over the measurements and make sure everything adds up. And this is Grian." His boss nudged him with his foot. "He designs most of the blueprints for the architecture section, so keep that in mind."

"Um..." Grian glanced up awkwardly. "Hi."

The group in front of him was the usual at first glance, a bunch of people - mostly men - in suits. But when he looked closer, he saw a couple prosthetic arms, eyepatches, some guy with unnatural red eyes standing next to another with unnatural violet eyes.

Another guy was in a wheelchair, a cannula in his nose as he sifted through some paperwork. One of the few girls - a redhead - was subtly annoying a guy with brown hair and glasses. Another guy had a very funny but fitting mustache. Actually, most everyone had something that made them stand out from each other.

One of the men, the one who seemed to be the leader, stepped forward and shook his hand. "It's good to meet you Grian. I'm Xisuma, but you can call me X, or whatever you like."

Grian snorted. "Okay, Ex-eye-zoom-ea."

Xisuma laughed. "Not the weirdest thing I've heard, trust me."

"Well, I'll have to come up with a better one then, ehhh-cxx-zoooo-meee-aaa." Grian answered, drawing out each syllable.

That drew a few giggles from the other employees.

"Very well, G-r-ian." Xisuma shot back good-naturedly.

Grian found himself giggling. For once, he thought he might fit in with these new people.

_____________________

Grian giggled as he whisper-sang his little song while he watched Mumbo. The mustached man had fallen asleep at his desk, and it had become commonplace to hear Grian tease him about it in song-form with the friendly threat of shaving off his mustache.

A few months had passed, and Grian fit right in with the partnership. Everyone was so friendly unlike his other coworkers, new stuff happening all the time.

Like the prank war, which lasted a week after someone set free a live chicken in the office with a handmade Grian mask. Revenge was had and failed, and things had only escalated from there, until Friday turned into a mini capture the flag game, with colored sticky notes. Grian prided himself on where he'd hid his, having climbed through the crawlspace and set up a bunch of mousetraps to protect it, only for the sticky note to be sitting past a section of wood that... wasn't very solid. The building managers needed the section torn down anyways.

And that's not even mentioning work itself. Grian ended up working with Iskall and Mumbo to finalise blueprints for a massive factory. Grian spent a whole night just designing a possible courtyard inbetween the warehouse and factory itself.

This partnership had lasted longer than Grian had thought, and he really didn't mind. But all good things must come to an end.

"Guys, I have some bad news." Xisuma's voice rang out through the room, catching everyone's attention.

Grian glanced up. Xisuma looked tired and worried, and Grian started to fear the worst.

"A high-level company is buying the group we're partnered with, which unfortunately breaks off the partnership. We have two days to pack up and leave the building."

Grian watched as his friends reluctantly started packing up their stuff. Then Ren's voice brought up a question Grian never thought he'd hear.

"Can we take Grian with us?"

Xisuma turned to Grian. "If it's okay with him, I can see what I can do."

Grian lit up. "Yes please!"

Xisuma gave him a curt nod. "I'll do everything in my power to keep you with us, I promise."

Grian crossed his fingers under his desk. Please let him stay with them.

___________________

Grian let out a sigh as he packed up from work. The two days had come and gone, and unfortunately, his boss wanted to keep him where he was.

He regretted not trading numbers with those people, he never heard from them after they left. Life had gone back to it's boring, regular self.

Maybe he'd meet one of them again. Maybe...

It was unlikely, but Grian held out hope.

___________________

Three years.

Three years of hard work, and Grian found himself a valuable asset to the company. Being the head of the exterior design department, his skills were well valued and often led his to bounce around from place to place, often spending time with other companies. Grian didn't mind though.

He wasn't surprised when he was given a business opportunity. His company wanted to hand him off to another company in exchange for a couple employees for the IT department.

After some thought, Grian accepted.

Now he found himself standing outside the Hermit Inc., a group that had grown massively over the past two years.

And he was about to meet them.

____________________

"To make it brief, we made a trade. As you guys know, Python and Biffa have been looking for bigger opportunities in the IT section. We got an offer for their services, and after some consideration, Biffa and Python both agreed it was well worth it, considering exactly who we've traded for. This isn't any exterior designer."

The newcomer came into the room, and you could hear a pin drop.

Recognition rippled through everyone.

Xisuma smiled. "Three years ago, I said I'd do everything in my power to keep him with us. I promised. And I don't break promises."

Grian's eyes were shining, excitement clear on his face.

"Welcome home Grian."