Chapter | Nineteen

Start from the beginning

"Come, Eve," my grandpa says, and wraps an arm around me, taking me out to the kitchen where it seems we can be alone.

I walk beside him, and my legs feel like water. My knees buckle, and I'm grateful for his strong arms supporting me.

If we're fine, then it must be Enzo. By the dark look in grandpa's eyes and his clenched jaws, it must be terrible.

He turns me around with my back toward the living room forcing me to face him and holding my upper arms in an iron grip as if he's expecting me to collapse, his fingers digging holes into my flesh and his eyes piercing into mine. His coal-black eyeballs stare makes me freeze, a stare that looks so much like Enzo's.

"Princess, I need you to be the strong woman I know you are, and I know you like to be. I trust you, princess," he says, and I can see in his eyes that he needs me to be strong rather for him than for myself.

"Where is Enzo?" I ask with a fainted breath, and I just wished he would fucking speak already. I'm not made of glass, I'm not a doll!

"Mike, your dad and I are traveling to Italy today. There has been a raid over Enzo's estate in Napoli, and we need to get there fast. Jason will come over and together with Tea they'll secure you here."

"I want to come," I cut him off bluntly, trying to pull myself from his grip with a confidence that could freeze the hell.

"Eveline..." he scowls me back, his eyes becoming even darker.

"Oh, enough already, Grandpa! I've been mastering a gun since I was sixteen, better than dad, and you know that. I'm letting myself be pampered all the time because I love you, guys and I know it comforts you. But I'm very much capable to take care of myself. And I want to come!"

"You're not coming anywhere!" my father bellows from the entrance.

"Dad..."

"No, Eveline! Stop being a brat and delay us. Your mom and grandma need you here. So here you'll stay. And if you as much as fucking open your mouth to give me hard times with this I'm going to ask Jason to tie you up and feed you like babies if it's necessary," he shouts back at me.

"Dad!"

"Your choice, pumpkin," he threatens me, raising a menacing finger at me.

His hard look and cutting icy blue of his eyes tell me he's not kidding.

"I can't believe you're such a selfish bastard," I say, for the first time in my life, talking back at dad in such a manner.

I leave the kitchen, brushing myself hard on his left arm, and run for my room before tears start choking me and I crash.

I'm angry on enormous levels. I feel a bubble of rage building up in me while tears roll down my face.

I slam the door shut with a bang and hit the perfume collection standing on my table, the pieces flying straight into the walls.

"Fuck!" I release my anger with a cry that has sprung from the pit of my lungs.

Well, seems I'm my father's daughter as well, and growing up with an aunt being a hit-woman can only build a hard-headed stubborn brat like myself.

I run to my walk-in closet and take a traveling bag, sobbing and wiping my tears with the back of my hands in angry moves, rushing myself to pack in no longer than a few seconds.

I need to get out of here. I need to leave, I feel trapped like locked in a cage and I fucking need to know about Enzo.

I shove some stuff in my bag, which I don't even know what they are. I hear the door opening, but I don't turn around.