Beneath your Beautiful

Start from the beginning

"Have you eaten?" She whispered to Damian as Debbie quizzed Tyler and Chad about the conventions and what they were like. "You can have half of this if you want?" She waved her cheese sandwich back and forth between them.

"Yeah, we hid out in a little pizza shop just around the corner." Damian pointed in the direction of a side street behind them. "But thank you for the offer." He leant closer to gently nudge her with his shoulder causing an involuntary giggle to escape her mouth.

Joyce's commanding tone cut through the group startling their drowsy like state. "Ok everyone, so I know it's been a really intense day but we did get to see so much in the short space of time we've been here. We do have one more stop before the day is done so let's head over to the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore." She clapped her hands excitedly at the group who were practically falling asleep at her feet. "Come on folks. Spit spot."

"Someone give her a spoon full of fucking sugar to choke on." Jayne sniped from the bottom step as Joyce marched forward.

"Bibity bobity let's go." Joyce cheerfully called back, as she raised her arm to the sky and marched forward.

"You're mixing your characters up Joyce." Jayne irately snapped. "That doesn't work." She continued to call after Joyce who carried on walking, taking no notice of Jaynes grouchy mood.

The sound of laughter loudly escaped Harry's mouth in response to Jayne, but he quickly shut it off and nervously strode off to catch up with Jack when he realised she was looking at him.

After a short 10-minute walk to the Cathedral, the sight of the dome caused them all to gasp as they got under it and were able to properly admire the magnitude of it.

"Hey, Lorenzo." Tyler's thick American accent boomed across the group. "Didn't your grandad build this?"

Kat winced uncomfortably as more passers-by started to take notice of the group again.

"No Tye, my grandad supported Brunelleschi to finish it, but well done you for trying." Damian nodded to Tyler and gave him a cheeky wink.

"Do they always rib you like this?" Kat questioned as she looked back up to the majestic dome glowing in the warm sunlight.

"Always with the jokes that one." Damian smiled as his eyes dropped to his arm where Kat's hand had involuntarily placed itself as to steady herself whilst she looked up in admiration at the dome above them.

"Sorry." Kat apologised, quickly removing her hand and turning away slightly to hide her flushed cheeks.

"It's fine. You don't need to apologise Kathleen." He smiled warmly before removing his sunglasses and rubbing his heavy, reddish eyes.

"Right then, shall we?" Jack instructed as his hand stretched out before him to signal towards the Cathedral.

"Oh yay." Jaynes monotone response echoed through the sniggers of the rest of the group.

"I have a little surprise for you," Damian whispered to Kat so the others wouldn't hear.

The group began to walk on ahead as Damian slowed down his pace to put some distance between them.

"Come with me." He forcefully grabbed Kats hand and before she could protest they were heading up a side street around the back of the cathedral.

"Where are we going?" She laughed excitedly as she attempted to keep up with his long strides.

"I told you, I have a surprise." A mischievous grin spread across his amused face as he briefly looked back at her.

Damian stopped abruptly outside a small wooden door, causing Kat to crash into his sturdy frame. Unable to hide her excitement she studied the building for a clue as to what was happening but there were no signs anywhere on the huge stone wall as it sat hidden away in its tiny side street. Damian removed his sunglasses and tucked them into his pocket before giving the door a firm knock. It instantly opened to reveal a small Italian man with speckled grey hair and a well-tailored grey suit, beaming with joy as he looked at them both.