Get over it

Kat's skin rippled with goosebumps as she stepped out of the warm shower and shivered into the oversized fluffy white bath towel which she wrapped tightly around herself.

"Hey boo." Debbie entered the room just as Kat made her way around the partition and into the bedroom.

"Hey you. Everything ok?" Kat headed over to the dresser and searched through the large pile of clothes.

"Yeah everything is fine. Gill, Jayne, Nat and Rachel went into town for a few supplies for tomorrow and ended up coming back with contents of a great movie night complete with face masks and cucumbers." Debbie lay on the bed and scrolled through her phone as Kat discreetly slipped on her pj bottoms and hangover hoodie.

"Movie night?" Kat adjusted the hood as she looked over to Debbie who was smiling at her phone. "What are we watching, everything is in Italian and I can't listen to Joyce translating all night?"

Debbie closed what she was looking at and rolled onto her side to look at Kat. "No, they found a dvd section in the shop and they had a few English films. It's a choice between Dirty Dancing or The notebook."

"How can you ask someone to make a choice between those two? That's like me asking you who's your favourite child."

"The middle one." Debbie quickly answered causing them both to laugh a loud before Kat shook her head playfully.
"What?" Debbie protested.

"Nothing." Kat laughed again as she scrapped her hair into a messy bun. "It's a good job I get your humour Debora."
Kat laughed again as Debbie pretended to vomit at the sound of her formal name.

"What you smiling into your phone about anyway?" Kat jumped onto the bed next to her.

Debbie's infectious smile returned as she opened up the phone again. "Mark sent me this." She passed the phone to Kat showing her the photo of her girls all asleep in front of the tv.

"Awww that's lovely Debbie. They're such beautiful girls. You did good there bab." Kat smiled back as she returned the phone to Debbie who took another long look at her girls. "Are you missing them?" Kat questioned.

"So much." Debbie continued to stare at the picture. "It hurts sometimes."

Kat's eyes dropped to the bedsheets as she traced the floral pattern with her finger. "It must be nice to love someone that much and know they love you back just the same."

Debbie closed the phone and studied her friend. "This will happen for you one day Kat. When the time is right and the universe is ready you will have all this too."

Kat inhaled deeply and shrugged. "I don't think this is my path Deb, and I think I have to accept that maybe being a mom just isn't on the cards for me."

"Don't think like that Kat. It will happen eventually Kat, and I can tell you now. You will be the best Mom to your beautiful babies when it's their time."

"I guess I could find a donor. It's not unusual for women to not physically need a man these days." Kat laughed a half laugh, filled with silent pain and sadness.

"Don't be a downer Kat. Look at it like this. The first time you've properly put yourself out there and you've had two guys this week fawning over you. Two incredibly hot guys, one of which is an actual actor, like on tv in films actor." Debbie's eyebrows lifted to the top of her forehead. "You're not a repulsive old crow Kat, you are emotionally a pain in the butt, but you've dipped your toe in the pool and now it's time to get in and have an actual swim, see what's out there."