Chapter 33

Nina sat in front of the vanity mirror as I stood behind her, pinning the last tendril of hair into place. It came into a beautiful half updo that framed her face perfectly.

I was very proud of myself. Grinning as she stood and walked over to her full length mirror, Nina looked absolutely gorgeous. In a glittering red off shoulder dress and hugged all the curves of her body.

"I haven't felt this good in a long time." She says as I look to her through the mirror. Nodding to her as she does a twirl in the dress.

"You look stunning." I say with a megawatt smile. She turns back to me with a smile. Her red painted lips spreading to show her bright white teeth. She had a glow I hadn't seen before.

Turning fully towards me, she takes me in, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug.

"Thank you Tessa." She says.

"Honey I just did your hair." I laugh as I hug her back. But I knew what she meant, and I knew what it was for. She didn't need to thank me. She's family.

The evening stretches on as I got myself ready. Straightening my hair so that it falls down my back, but locking it in a heavy braid with a ruby jeweled piece at the end. Pulling out a few tendrils so that it frames my face.

I decided to wear a simple back satin long sleeve backless dress that flared out at the hips and stopped covering most of the black heels that I wore.

I wasn't feeling very optimistic, even though I know the gala will turn out great, it's Dominic that I'm worried about. Twisting and turning the ring on my finger, over and over again until we got into the taxi.

Pulling up outside Dominic's family home, it was shining in glittering opulence. All the windows were open to let the light from the chandeliers shine out. Security guards at every possible entrance and exit, and the most elite people in the world were swarming the place in their expensive cars and limousines.

It looked like everyone's dream, but it was my hellish nightmare. Sitting back in my seat as I began overthinking all the planning I'd done to make this night special for the Kingsley's.

Are the hors d'oeuvres okay?

What about the flowers? Do they mix well with the atmosphere?

Good lord! Will the band be decent enough?

The decorations...

Nina snapped me out of my thoughts. Her fingers snapping in my face.

"I know that look." She points to me. "You did phenomenal. Okay! You planned all this and you've done it a hundred times over, you did fine."

"It can't be just fine!" I shoot back. Panic taking over my limbs, my hands starting to shake and sweat. Did I do a good job? "It can't be just fine Nina, it has to be absolutely amazing."

"And it is. And I don't think you're nervous about the decorations or the food, like you think you are." She says and my eyes snap to her. "I think you're nervous about seeing Dominic."

"I'm here to work not to flirt,"

"Not much of a different really." Nina chips.

"And besides, I'll be way too consumed with the ship running smoothly rather than Dominic. I'll just breathe and maintain." I say and let out a slow breath.

We finally make it to the entrance of the house, a velvet green carpet that leading into the entrance of the home. It matches Dominic's eyes perfectly.

People bustle inside, me and Nina ducking our heads and rushing to the side to avoid the rushing river of people.

"Tessa!" A deep voice shouts and that makes me jump as I turn to see...Malcom.