Chapter Thirty-three

The snow crunched under your feet as you padded on the slippery path. You were finally in Circester, one of the final stops before you enter the Pokémon League. You dreamt you'd be elated at this point, but all you could feel was misery and shame.

Not one person spoke to you when you arrived. Bede had done magnificent devastation to your public image, as well as that reporter. You feel arrogant thinking about the times you enjoyed having people follow you and approach you due to your high status in the league as the second most likely person to win the League, next to Hop.

No longer were you the underdog everyone rooted for, but a "bully" that they hate. It wasn't even your fault— Bede spun the tale in a dishonest manner. But none of that mattered.

You noticed a hot spring in the center of town. You shivered due to a cold breeze. Perhaps taking a moment to sit by the spring and absorbing its warmth would make you feel better.

You stared at the ground and tried to ignore a couple staring and whispering about you. You took a seat on the ledge of the spring, taking in a heavy breath and enjoyed the scent of the salts in the hot spring.

"Hey, (y/n!)" called a familiar voice. You perked up immediately and turned your head to see your favorite champion.

"Leon!" you shouted happily.

Leon ran over to you excitedly, his Charizard bumbling after, excited to see you as well.

"How's it hanging? I got here as soon as I could," Leon said.

"I only just arrived. I'm pretty cold," you replied.

Leon looked puzzled for a second, then his face lit up. "How about you borrow my cape? I'm looking to build my strength by adjusting to extreme temperatures!"

You rolled your eyes. "Yeah, and get frostbite in the process."

"Just take the cape," Leon grumbled.

He unhooked his cape from his shoulders and placed it around yours. You instinctively nestled into the fluff of the cape. It was incredibly warm!

"Thanks," you grinned at him.

You noticed that the couple was walking away from the springs.

"Tch. They have no shame. A dirty home wrecker and a disgusting cheater," said one.

"Just walk away, they don't matter," the other said.

You teared up and pulled the cape over your head, trying to hide from the world.

Leon gently pulled the cape away to reveal your face.

"Ignore them, they don't know anything," Leon whispered.

"I don't know, it's just so hard having to sit here and take their hateful words," you replied, voice shaking. "Neither of us are cheaters."

"What matters is that we know," Leon replied.

"What good is that? Everyone in Galar despises me for "breaking up the golden couple." It's so difficult," you cried.

"I'll find a way to fix this, I promise!" Leon exclaimed.

"How? You'd have to admit that your relationship was a fake," you replied. "Where will that get you? People will still be angry."

Leon looked down at the ground while biting his lip.

"I'm a lost cause and everyone's going to forget about all the work I've done and only remember the lies from Bede," you rambled. "I should just give up, either way I'm destined to fail."

"No, you made it this far!" argued Leon. "Don't let those haters get to you."

Before you could retort, your Rotom Phone rang. You picked it up and a message from the region news appeared. It was Chairman Rose.

"Hello citizens of Galar! I would like to start off with an apology to everyone for what they have witnessed in that video. For the record, we will be investigating the video and the people involved. We will be postponing the Circhester Gym battles for two weeks in while we decide how to proceed," Chairman Rose spoke. "We will inform the public of our decision on how we are dealing with the competitors a week and a half from today."

The message shut off. You grit your teeth.

"Are they going to remove me?" you whispered.

Leon looked guilty. "I- well... They are considering it."

You glared at him. "And you're going to let them?"

"I promise, I'm going to fight for you as hard as I can!" Leon promised. "Chairman Rose proposed this option for your protection as well as my own. He wants to try to save face for the public. He wants me to maintain my positive image, and he wants to ensure that you will not be harassed. He believes that hiding you away will make the public forget. However, I disagree. You shouldn't have to give up your dreams because of Bede."

You sniffed and smiled at Leon. "Thank you for being there for me."

Leon grabbed you and pulled you in for a tight hug. "As I said over the phone, I care for you deeply. I would never let someone ruin your dreams."

You wrapped your arms around Leon. You sighed and melted into the embrace. You wish you could stay here forever and forget about the mess you are in.

Sadly, you were interrupted by your Rotom Phonr again. You pulled away from Leon, looking for where Rotom had gone. You wondered what announcement was going to be made now. Did Rose forget to mention something?

Rotom flew out in front of you. It was a call from your dad. You gulped, and Leon looked at you with concern.

Rotom answered the phone for you. You saw your dad, and he looked concerned and somewhat disappointed.

"Hey (y/n)?" your dad said. "I think it's time for you to come home... Your mom and I think it may be best for you to return to Kalos. I don't know why you did what you did, but coming to Galar has affected you. Perhaps restarting in Kalos will help you find yourself again."

"Dad, no, I-I.."

"No arguments. Return home immediately," your dad said. He noticed Leon and narrowed his eyes. "Leon, with all due respect, but please stay away from my daughter. Your bad influence has changed her. I expect you to make it home in a couple days. Take a flying taxi."

He hung up before you could reply. You and Leon stared at each other, both heartbroken.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote!

A/N

Hey guys! So I'll try to speed run this story as I've returned to writing. I'm in the process of writing another story. I want this to be complete before I publish it. I have enough story planned for about 6-8 more chapters.

I am writing a Naruto x Reader and also planning a Kakashi x Reader that will be published after the Naruto one. I want this story finished before I even start the Kakashi one. Naruto one has 3 chapters written so far. Will likely publish after 8-10 are done thus this story will be pushed forward a lot. I have the next chapter of this story ready to publish in a couple days! (For suspense) See y'all soon!