Chapter Twenty-nine

Vote pls

You stormed out of the gym, feeling the panic set in. This wouldn't be good. What would Diantha's reaction to this be? What about the people of Galar? Would they accept you, or see you as the one who split a seemingly perfect couple?

You wanted to throw up. Of course, the reporter was gone, but not without the pictures. You both were only hugging, but with some editing and storytelling, it can be taken as a romantic gesture. It kind of was, but Galar didn't know that yet.

What about Leon's job? His managers certainly will be very angry. They can't fire him or anything, but his image can be polluted and the media would start to bash him for cheating on "perfect Diantha".

Leon chased after you.

"W-Wait! We can find a way to fix this!" Leon panted as he caught up to you.

"Fix it how?" you snapped, tears welling up in your eyes. "You heard him! There's a picture of us hugging and you only need to manipulate it a little to convince the world that it was romantic."

"So what?" Leon questioned.

"So what?! Your career could be jeopardized and I might get harrassed!" you exclaimed.

"How do you know that's going to happen?" Leon asked.

"Haven't you ever watched the news? Celebrity found with someone not their celebrity partner... Usually the other person is the one to take the heat, and the celebrity's career could be ruined!" you fussed.

You noticed that a few passerby were tuning in, so you quieted down.

"We shouldn't talk here," Leon said, glancing around to the onlookers.

You nodded in agreement, forcing yourself to stay quiet. Leon lead you back into the forest to talk. After finding a place far from any people you began to talk again.

"Whatever happens, trust me," Leon said. "I have a plan if things go south."

You stared directly into his eyes, making sure he wasn't lying. "Are you sure?"

"Very," Leon replied.

---

A few hours passed and Leon decided you needed to see a friend. He contacted Hop, who quickly came to visit you both since he was on his way for his own battle. You and Leon set up camp outside of Ballonlea again to think about the day's events.

"Aside from that run-in with the reporter, I think today was pretty great!" Leon exclaimed. "Look at you! Fifth badge and everything. Soon enough we'll be facing off."

You grinned. "And then I take your championship!"

Leon smirked at you. "You can try, but you'll never succeed."

"But what if I do?" you questioned.

"You won't," Leon scoffed.

"But... What if I do?" you asked.

"You won't," Leon insisted.

"But," you emphasized. "What if I do?"

"Whatever, fine, if you hypothetically beat all odds and beat me, I'd be very proud of you," Leon replied. "Some people have it twisted and believe I'd be upset, but really, my goal is for Galar to be home to the strongest trainers in the world! If someone beats me, I am one step closer to my goal!"

You smiled warmly. "I can assure you, even if I lose, I will keep coming after you. Maybe I'll even go after other regions' Championships!"

"I'd come with you during the off season," Leon replied. "Even though there's exhibition matches to challenge my championship from the Gym Leaders, I'm sure they'll let me go for a couple months to support you."