Ch.13 I Could Save You

The talk I had with my mom made me think a lot

The talk I had with my mom made me think a lot. I do love Austin and I miss him dearly. I knew my mother was right. That he was pushing me away cause he was dying and didn't want me to see him that way, but I have an issue with letting people push me away. I didn't care how Austin felt about me seeing him, which is why I was going to head to Seattle.

"How long will you be there for?" Embry asks out.
"He doesn't have much time left...so not long," I mumble out sadly.
"What do you mean?" He questions in concern while staring at me.
"The last time I saw him he wasn't doing good at all. Now Tony is telling me he's practically on his death bed. I want to be with him when he goes. I want it to end on a good note. To be there when he passes." I respond making Embry sigh. I know he didn't like the idea, but I had to. I watch as he stands up from off the couch and slowly makes his way toward me.

"I'm by no means trying to hurt you, but I can't just let him push me away," I speak out as he wraps his hands in mine and pulls me into a hug.
"I know you're not. I understand how you're feeling." He responds as I feel electricity shoot through my body. He was so warm and comforting. "I'm not upset with how you feel. You love him." I slowly pull away to look up at him. I give him a small smile before kissing his cheek.
"Thank you."

I quickly made my way back to Seattle that night. I wasn't sure how long I'd be there, meaning I wasn't sure how long Austin had left. I would stay until he took his final breath. I found my way into the familiar hospital and to his room. As soon as I opened the door, I felt my heartbreak. He was hooked up to all these machines, looked skinnier than usual, and was practically on his death bed.

I slowly walked over to him and it was as if he could sense my presence because his eyes quickly fluttered open. "Delilah?" He croaks out. I give him a painful look before taking his hand in mine. "Hey, Austin." He stares at me before speaking again.
"I thought I told you to stay in La Push and forget about me." I shake my head at his words.
"You honestly thought I'd listen to you? Austin, I'll be here until you take your last breath." I respond.
"Well..." He trails off before closing his eyes. "You won't have to be here much longer." I didn't know what to say in response. I wanted to tell him to stop thinking negatively and that he wouldn't die anytime soon. I knew he was right though. That he didn't have much time left. With my powers, I could see all that was wrong with him. How his respiratory system was failing him. How damaged his lung tissue was. I wish I had more control of my powers. My biological manipulation could be of so much use if I just knew how to use it. I know I have the ability of cell manipulation. This means I could save Austin. If I just knew how to manipulate his diseased cells and regenerate healthy ones. I could get rid of his cystic fibrosis.

I close my eyes and place my hands on his rib cage and slowly lean in focusing on his body. The feeling of his anatomy and what was going on within him. "Delilah, what are you doing?"
"I'm trying to heal you," I respond simply.
"Stop." He croaks making me look up at him in sorrow.
"Deli, I already told you. I made peace with death and I don't want to be like you or the Cullens." He says.
"Austin, I know. And I respect your wishes about not wanting to be a vampire, but if I have the chance to possibly save you with my powers. I will." He shakes his head at my words and places one of his hands on top of mine.
"You can't." He says.
"You don't know that. I told you what my power is. I have the ability to heal... to create life practically." I quickly respond but all he does is sigh out.
"Delilah, I told you. I don't want that. None of that. I've accepted that I'm going to die. That's what I want. It's my choice. I know you think you can save me with your powers, but it's not your choice." I didn't know how to respond. I could save him. Give him a better life, but he wants to die and I can't change his decision.

We stared at each other before our attention was brought to the door. There was a light knock before Tiana stuck her head in. "Austin, your parents are here." She speaks out making me quickly stand up. She opens the door fully and his mom was quick to come in.
"Oh, honey." She speaks out and envelopes Austin in her arms. His father comes in and stands behind her. I catch the eyes of his father and give him a small smile.
"Hello, you must be Delilah?" He questions. His voice was scratchy and deep.
"Yes, I am," I respond with a nod.
He reaches his hand out, "I'm Wade, Austin's dad." I take his hand and give it a slight shake, introducing myself back. "Gosh, cold much?" He says and releases my hand. Oh...right.
"I have bad blood circulation. Doesn't make it any better the hospital is always cold." I sheepishly state making him nod. He glances me over slightly before turning his attention to his son. Austin looked a lot like his dad. They had the same facial structure and hair. I watched as his mom moves out of the way for his dad to talk to him. Her attention was now on me.

"So nice to finally meet you, Delilah." She says and gives me a quick hug. "Austin has told us so much about you. You're even more beautiful in person compared to the pictures he's shown us."
"I'm flattered." I giggle out with a smile.
"Thank you for taking care of him and keeping him company when we couldn't." She says with a sad smile. I knew they were both busy people, they never really came to visit Austin while I was in the hospital with him.
"Of course, he means a lot to me," I respond and slowly look over at Austin. My smile slowly disappearing from my face as I did so. I feel her hand gently rest on my right shoulder.
"Everything happens for a reason and as much as it hurts, we just have to accept it." She sighs out. I side-eye the blonde woman whose name I still didn't know. She spoke to me as if she has known me for all her life. "It's in the universe's hands."

"You're right. And one day we will all meet again."

Update! Wow...it's been a long time. I'm really sorry. I love this book along with my others so much, but recently with life events, it's hard for me to have the motivation to write. Hope you all are doing good :) I'll try to update more frequently from now on!