The King of Dragons

Chapter 58: The King of Dragons

For the second night in a row, Eira could not sleep, so she slipped out of Heather's bed and exited the room. She should not have been surprised to see Dagur standing in the main room, staring hard at the house's door. "Watching for intruders?" she said lightly.

Dagur seemed surprised to see her, but then he grinned at her. "You can never be too sure with those nasty dragon flyers around!"

Eira smiled slightly. "Right."

"Why are you up? You really should get some rest. We don't know what's going to happen tomorrow."

Eira hesitated before responding. "I had a bad dream. Then I woke up from it and was alone in the dark, and I had to get out of there." She bit her lip and looked away. She knew she probably sounded foolish.

Dagur, however, gasped loudly and exclaimed, "You had a nightmare? That's intolerable!"

Eira's eyes widened at his sudden intensity and fierce expression. "You can't defeat a nightmare like it's an enemy. I'll be fine. I just-"

Dagur grabbed her arm and pulled her into his chest. "I can still fix it!" He wrapped his arms around her securely, and she relaxed against him. "Stay with me. I'll make it better. You don't have to be alone." His tone softened as he held her.

"Dagur..." Eira closed her eyes and breathed in his comforting scent. She wanted to stay in the safety of his arms forever. "Thank you, but I do need to sleep."

"Stay with me," Dagur repeated softly. "I promise I won't try anything. I just want to make you feel better."

Eira pulled back and looked up into his eyes, noting the sincerity there. For a previous villain, he really could be quite adorable sometimes, and she loved him for it. She felt compelled to kiss him but held back to help him keep his promise. Instead, she simply smiled sweetly at him. "Okay. Let's go."

Dagur gently took her hand in his and led her to his room. She was too tired to think of anything but sleep as they crawled into bed together. He pulled her so she lay partially on top of him and kept his arms around her. "Good night, my princess," he whispered before kissing her forehead.

Though she felt herself quickly drifting off, Eira still managed a smile. "I love you, Dagur."

"And I love you... I love you very much, Eira."

***

Eira had no more nightmares that night. She awoke feeling well-rested and content. However, she found she could not move because Dagur held his arm tightly around her. She nudged him gently, but he did not budge. "Dagur," she said, "wake up."

This did not work either. She would have to wait for him to awaken naturally, not that she minded all that much. She took the time to admire his handsome features. He looked so peaceful when he slept. She wanted to reach out and touch him, but her arms were pinned down. This did give her another idea.

Eira managed to move enough so that her face was near Dagur's. She lightly kissed him on the lips, hoping it would be enough to wake him. When it did not work, she kissed him harder. She almost pulled away in surprise when he kissed her back. He moved his arm to pull her body close to his. This allowed her to finally move her own arms, which she did so she could tangle her fingers in his hair.

After a minute, Dagur moved over her, straddling her. "This is quite the good morning," he said huskily before kissing her jaw. "Dagur likey." He trailed kisses down her neck, making her moan.

Eira could hardly remember why she originally wanted him to wake up. Her mind grew fuzzy but not fuzzy enough to miss the sound of someone moving in the next room. "Dagur," she groaned, "did you hear that?"