Berserker Island

Chapter 42: Berserker Island

Eira, Ingrid, and Dagur met up a couple of times to help Ingrid figure out their relationship. Later on, Dagur and Heather invited all of the dragon riders to Berserker Island for some sort of Berserker apprenticeship graduation ceremony. Eira did not remembering hearing anything about this from Dagur, so she was curious to find out what it was all about.

The riders landed at the entrance to the village and were met with a bored looking Berserker soldier. Welcome to Berserker Island," he said in a monotone voice, "where dreams become realities. Name?"

"Nice motto," Eira giggled. She could imagine this guy's reaction when Dagur ordered him to say it.

"Haddock," Hiccup said, seeming startled by the question. "H-Hiccup."

Astrid moved to stand beside him. "And Hofferson, Astrid."

"Uh, we're here for the ceremony."

"Did not ask you that," the soldier said boredly while staring at a piece of paper in his hands. He appeared to mark off the correct names. "Next?"

Fishlegs stepped up. "Ingerman, Fishlegs."

"Move, move," Snotlout said as he pushed his way to front. "Jorgenson, Snotlout Gary." He started to move past him, but the soldier pushed him back.

"Hold it. Not on the list."

Snotlout frowned. "What?"

"Oh, no, it has to be on the list," Hiccup said in worry. "Can you look again?"

The soldier moved the paper closer to his face. "Only Jorgenson I see is a Snothat."

Hiccup and Astrid laughed. Eira thought she saw Ingrid giggle, but she quickly looked away when she glanced at her.

"That's not my name!" Snotlout said indignantly.

"Brother!" Dagur exclaimed as he descended with Sleuther. 

"You all made it!" said Heather, who landed beside him.

Dagur strolled towards the group of riders. "Stand down, guard. They're on my personal guest list."

"Yes, chief," the soldier said in the same tone of voice.

Dagur grinned at Hiccup. "You hear that, H? 'Chief!' Hey, Eira!"

"Hey, Dagur," Eira said with a smile. She greeted him with a quick hug, sensing two sets of eyes on her.

"It's good to see you again, Ingrid!"

The younger girl nodded. "You too, Dagur. And you, Heather."

Dagur looked around at the group. "Any problems getting here?"

"No, it was an easy trip," Astrid said.

"Right up until the time that my name wasn't on the list," Snotlout muttered.

Dagur looked aghast, though the expression seemed oddly forced. "It wasn't? Oh, heavens."

"No, no, it was," Hiccup said quickly. "It was just a slight-"

"'Snot-hat,'" the soldier said.

Dagur stifled a laugh. "I'm so sorry. I'm usually dead on with remembering names, Snotpocket." He turned to the guard. "They are all more than welcome on our little slice of Berserkedness." He smirked at Snotlout. "You too, Snotlip."

"'Snotlip,'" Snotlout mumbled. "You too, Dagfart."

Eira gave him a sympathetic smile. "Don't worry about it. He's just having fun."