Plans and Schemes

Chapter 16: Plans and Schemes

Snow blew in the riders' faces as they set up camp on Glacier Island. Or rather, Eira and Snotlout set up camp. Ruffnut and Tuffnut were too busy clinging to Fishlegs for warmth, and Hiccup and Astrid were out scouting the island. Astrid had insight that the dragon hunters would be coming here, and they suspected it was to obtain a Snow Wraith tooth to activate the Dragon Eye when they stole it from the riders. So, the riders planned to find the Snow Wraith and move it to another location where the hunters could not find it.

"Wow!" Hiccup said when he returned... alone. "You got the tents up fast."

"I had to!" Snotlout said. "It was the only way to keep out of that Thorston sandwich." He otioned to Fishlegs, still being hugged by the twins.

"Where's Astrid?" Fishelgs asked.

"We got separated in the storm," Hiccup replied.

Snotlout smirked. "Heh. She ditched you?"

Hiccup frowned. "What? No. Why would she do that?"

Why would she do that? Eira found Astrid's recent behavior... peculiar. She went off on her own a lot, and she often came back with information on the dragon hunters. Eira knew she was good, but... she could not ignore the gnawing feeling that she was hiding something.

Astrid soon returned and reported everything she had found. Soon, she had everyone up in the air, headed for a cave she had seen. "So, when I spotted the cave from the air, it got me thinking," she said. "Last time we were here, the Snow Wraith was on us right away. Remember? Why not this time? Maybe because it's hiding out or hibernating or something in that cave."

"Yeah, that's not a bad theory," Fishlegs said.

"I agree," said Hiccup. "I'm just wondering how it was you came all the way out here when you and I were scouting in the opposite direction."

Astrid smiled weakly. "I must've gotten lost."

"Lost?"

"Fine. I got carried away, okay? You know how I am."

Hiccup sighed. "Yes, I do. But, you can't just go off on your own like that, Astrid. I rely on you."

Astrid looked away to hide the guilt on her face. "Okay."

Eira could not longer contain her curiosity. She flew in close to Astrid and gave her a pointed look. Astrid frowned, but she followed her off to the side of the group where they could talk in private.

"What' going on?" Eira said in a low voice. She remembered what she had said earlier about Heather not being a problem. "You weren't meeting with Heather, were you?"

Astrid's eyes grew wide. "How do you-?"

"I know Heather is on our side. I found out when I talked to her on Ryker's ship. She made me promise not to tell."

Astrid frowned. "That's when I found out. It would have been nice if she had told us we were both in on it."

"It would be nice if we were all on the same page."

Astrid cast a nervous look in Hiccup's direction. "I know, I hate lying to him. But Heather thinks she's really close to pulling this off."

Eira nodded. "Alright. Just know I can cover you if anyone starts to get suspicious."

Astrid gave her a small smile. "Thanks, Eira. I feel better knowing I'm not alone."

***

The mission turned into quite the adventure. The dragon riders found the correct cave, but they were cornered by Ryker and his men. Ryker forced Heather to have Windshear shoot the cave, causing an avalanche and blocking the riders in the cave with the Snow Wraith.