Chapter | Sixteen

Začít od začátku

I hate it but I have to leave her behind this time.

"Chi cazzo era responsabile della sicurezza?" I'm asking Mario on the phone, pacing around the deck and running a hand through my hair. (Who the fuck handled security?)

"Eravamo tutti pronti ma loro erano tre volte più di noi. Sono sicuro che abbiamo una talpa," he says. "Torneranno, Enzo." (We were all ready, but they were three times more than us. I'm sure we have a mole). (They'll come back, Enzo).

"Cazzo!" I hiss before I take another look at my Eve. (Fuck).

She keeps staring at me and the only thing I feel to do now is to grab her and run away, like a beast with its prey, leaving all behind.

"Domani arriverò a Napoli," I reply shortly and hang up. (Tomorrow I'm arriving in Napoli).

I get back in and don't stop till I swallow Eve into a strong hug, hiding her tiny frame between my arms.

She jumps out of her skin when her phone rings and she grabs it, her face turning white seeing the caller. I can read in her eyes she knows things have gone downhill and danger is coming.

"Enzo, it's dad," she mumbles.

"Don't answer that," I tell her and dial Lucas' number from my phone while hers stops.

"Lucas," I say when he picks up. "I know. I have someone taking her back to NY right now. She's on the way. I'll bring her home," I assure him while dressing up my pants under her frozen stare.

I hang up with Lucas and shove the phone into the pocket of my pants, sitting on the bed and pulling Eve on my lap, grabbing her head with both hands and holding her still, with her face inches away from mine.

My eyes wander all over her face as if I want to engrave in my brain every curve, every line of her beautiful face, every imperfection that's so perfect to me.

"Baby, I have to go back to Napoli. I'll take you home and you'll stay with your parents till I'm back," I tell her, praying to all gods that she'll not get stubborn on me now.

I pull her to my chest, squeezing her tight, sniffing her scent deep into my lungs.

"Enzo... what's going on?" she whispers. "You're scaring me."

"I'm sorry, love. There is nothing to fear. You'll stay with Lucas. Nothing can happen to you as long as you listen to your father. Do you understand? Now, I know you are angry with your dad, but..."

"I'm not scared for me, Enzo. I'm scared for you," she replies and pins her hands in my chest, pushing herself away to have a good look into my eyes.

"Don't. I'll be fine. I promise. I'll come back to you," I try to convince her in a deep and determined tone, but the truth is told, I have no fucking idea when or how this will end.

"Enzo... " she whimpers and lifts her hand to my face.

"I'll come back to you, Eve. Don't you ever doubt that! I just need you to stay put, no matter what. Do you understand?" I speak again with a heavy tone.

I can tell she's trying to fight back the tears forming in her eyes, but they stubbornly roll down her cheeks and she delays her answer.

Oh, I know what that means. It means my little vixen is trying to play smart on me.

"Do you fucking understand me, Eveline?!" I bark at her, squeezing the grip on her head even harder, and she nods a few times in agreement.

I wipe her tears with my thumbs and press my lips on hers, kissing her deeply and hardly as if it's the last time. And that thought sends cold shivers down my spine.