Chapter 21

I woke up the next morning to the sound of Nathan singing in the kitchen and Kaelynn laughing at him. I looked around the room before stretching and placing my legs on the floor. I stood up with a wobble before slowly starting to walk towards the kitchen. It felt so weird walking again but, I was happy that I finally didn't have to sit in that chair anymore.

I walked to the kitchen door and leaned against the door frame, watching Nathan sing along to one fo his favourite songs while cooking breakfast. Kaelynn saw me as I put a finger up to my lips and she giggled before focusing on Nathan again. I snuck up to Nathan.

"You should've been a singer." I say as he jumps out of his skin and turns to look at me.
"Jesus, Eva. You scared the hell out of me." He says as I smile and kiss him softly.

I sit at the table across from Kaelynn before she runs out of the room to go play with her toys.

Once Nathan had finished putting our breakfast on the plates, he shouted Kaelynn before sitting beside me as we started to eat. When we'd finished, Kaelynn went to play with her toys as I cleaned up the plates and washed them before putting them away and joining Nathan and Kaelynn in the living room.

"Kae, do you want to hear about your brother?" I ask her as she nods and comes to sit on my knee.

I pull out a picture of Luke's scan and show her.

"This is Luke. Your older brother. Sadly, he passed away before you were born." I say as Kaelynn nods.

I then show her a picture of Luke after he was born as she smiles.

"He was cute, mummy." She says as I nod.
"He was very cute." I say as she giggles.
"Is he the baby that you and daddy cry about sometimes?" She asks sweetly as I look at Nathan.
"Yes, baby. He's the baby mummy and I cry about." Nathan says as Kaelynn starts to look sad.
"I'm sorry, mummy." She says cuddling me as I cuddle her back.
"Hey, hey. It's okay. We're okay." I say as Kaelynn looks up at me as I kiss her forehead, "I just wanted to tell you about your big brother." I say as Kaelynn hugs me again.
"Thank you." She whispers as I hold her and look at Nathan.

Nathan kisses my forehead before distracting Kaelynn with a game of dolls as I breathe deeply and go to the bedroom. Soon after I left, Nathan joined me.

"Kaelynn just asked me if she will ever have another brother." Nathan says as I look at him.
"What did you tell her?" I ask as Nathan shrugs.
"I told her that she might do. Someday." He says as I nod.
"Does that mean you want another?" I ask him as he nods.
"Yeah but, not yet. I mean, not til Kaelynn is in school." He says as I nod.
"I want to have another too but..." I trail off as Nathan looks at me.
"But what?" He asks as I look at him.
"It might be before Kaelynn starts school." I say as Nathan looks at me confused.
"What do you mean?" He asks as I give him a look as it finally hits him, "Oh..." He trails off as I nod.

He looked surprised but then happy and excited.

"When did you find out?" Nathan asks as I smile.
"Last week. I wanted to tell you sooner but I was nervous." I say as he smiles and kisses me.
"I can't believe it... I love you so much." He says as I smile.
"I love you too."