Chapter 8

~ 2nd Month ~

Nathan and I were going for our first scan today. Nathan was just as nervous as I was when it came down to it. Because of what happened with Luke, we wanted to be extra cautious and careful. We didn't want the same thing to happen with our little bean. 

"Nathan, we have our scan at 1 today so we need to leave at about 12," I say as Nathan s=nods and kisses my forehead.
"I know, babe." Nathan pauses, "When we get there, the best thing for us is to stay calm and try to think of the positives. Try to imagine bean coming at the right time and staying forever. I know we went through all that stuff with Luke but, bean is gonna be fine. Okay?" Nathan asks but he doesn't sound so sure which makes me worry even more about bean.

What if everything goes downhill again as it did with Luke? What if I get sick while I'm pregnant with bean? What if I get preeclampsia or I have a miscarriage? What if bean is premature? We can't go through what we went through with Luke again. It was hard enough the first time, having to say goodbye to my child.

As the clock ticked 12, Nathan and I left the house and locked up behind us before he helped me into the car. Once I was in the car, I buckled up and waited for Nathan to get in the beside me and start the car. 

As Nathan started pulling out of the driveway, he smiled at me before concentrating on pulling out again. Once we were on the main road, Nathan took my hand and held it while changing ger and kissed my knuckles softly.

"Are you okay?" He asked as I nodded.
"Yeah. I was just overthinking things earlier. I'm fine." I reply as Nathan smiles.
"Good. I'm glad you're okay." Nathan trials off, "Bean will be fine too, Eva. You don't need to worry about them. They're gonna be perfectly fine." Nathan adds on as I smile and kiss his knuckles back.
"I just can't help feeling like everything is gonna go the way it did with Luke," I reply as Nathan smiles.
"And if it does, Eva, it won't be your fault. Just like with Luke, it wasn't your fault. Everything happens for a reason and maybe God had different plans for our baby." Nathan says as I smile at him and rub my thumb over his knuckles.
"You think it was a better plan?" I ask as Nathan glances at me and smiles.
"Of course it was. He wouldn't take Luke away from us if it wasn't for something better." Nathan says as I smile and kiss his cheek softly.
"Thank you for making me feel better, Nath. I love you." I tell him as he smiles.
"I love you too, Eva."

XX

Once we arrived at the hospital, we signed in and took a seat in the waiting room. There was a lot of other women and couples here. I didn't know if they were here for their first scans or their last ones but, they were here nonetheless. 

I looked at Nathan as he looked back at me and smiled. He took my hand before rubbing the back of it softly with his thumb.

"You okay?" He asks as I smile and nod.
"Once this is over then yes," I reply as he looks at me confused.
"Are you worried about bean?" He asks as I nod.
"Yeah. I'm worried that nothing is gonna be okay. I'm worried that we'll go through the same thing that we went through with Luke. I don't want that to happen again," I reply as Nathan kisses my knuckles softly.
"That won't happen again. Bean is gonna be healthy and happy. I promise," Nathan says as I smile and kiss him softly.
"I hope so."

Soon enough, our names get called and we go into the room.

"Good afternoon. How are we feeling?" The nurse asks as I smile.
"Nervous," I reply as Nathan takes my hand.
"Don't be nervous. I'm sure your baby will be very healthy." The nurse says as Nathan picks me up out of the chair and places me down on the bed.

The nurse put the gel on my stomach before starting the scan. Soon enough we hear the heartbeat before she turns the screen to us and we can see our baby.

"And there is your baby." She says, pointing to a pea shape on the screen.

I smile and turn to Nathan to see him smiling back at me.

"Is this your first?" She asks as I shake my head.
"No, and I'm aware of the complications if I have any," I say as she nods.
"At least you know what to look out for." The nurse says as I nod.
"Thank you," I reply before she goes to get the scan pictures and the baby progress folder.

Nathan wipes the gel off my stomach before picking me up and placing me back in my chair. Once the nurse returns, we collect our things and go back to the car to start the journey home.

Hopefully, this pregnancy goes to plan.