4

"So how was it?" A voice called to Calum before he'd even fully entered the mansion guest house he had been put up in. He tensed, startled for a moment by the fact that he wasn't alone, before realizing it was just Ashton and letting out a nervous laugh.

"It was all right I guess." He replied nonchalantly, not wanting to delve too into the events of the day until he'd had some time to decompress. "How'd you even get in here?" He questioned, his eyes brow raising at the fact that Ash had been allowed past the security and producers of the closed set he'd be living on for eight weeks.

"May have brought you a present." Ashton said with a proud grin on his face just as the sound of tiny paws on the hardwood floors echoed through the suite.

"Duke!" Calum said excitedly, dropping to one knee to pet his furry friend as the ball of fluff stood on his hind legs attempting lick his face. "Hiya buddy. Did you miss me? Easy bubba, it's only been like a day."

"I figured if me and the boys aren't allowed to meet any of the girls you're seein' until later at least you'll have Duke's opinion."

"Hadn't thought of that but, you're right."

"I usually am." Ashton said smugly, leaning against the granite countertops of the kitchen. "So..

"So what?" Calum asked.

"You hit it off with any of them yet?"

"I've only just met them, Ash." Calum sighed with a quick roll of his eyes.

"And? Love at first sight exists you know." Ashton said exasperated.

"Not in my world it doesn't mate."

Ashton let loose a low groan as he pushed off the counter and stood to his full height, his arms folded over his chest as he looked at his best friend across from him, "was there at least one that stood out yet?"

Calum's first thoughts drifted to Teal, the pretty girl with the bright smile and somehow even brighter blue eyes. He didn't know what to make of her being the name and mental image conjured by his brain when asked who had stood out to him. He'd only briefly met her a few times and neither had been anything extraordinary. She didn't even seem to really like him.  Ashton stood looking at him, waiting with less patience at each passing moment for him to provide an answer so he wracked his brain for any of the ten girls he had met the night before's names. Searching for any tidbit he could provide his friend to appease him for the time being.

"I mean as far as having things in common, there's a professional soccer player." He mused, his fingers absently running through the small dog he cradled's fur.

"No shit?" Ashton asked, his eyes widened in surprise and obviously impressed.

"Yeah, plays for the Thorns up in Portland. Her name is Julie, or maybe it's Jules...something like that." Calum said, chewing on his lower lip as he tried to recall her name for sure.

"Maybe work that out before you address her." Ashton said with a loud rambunctious laugh.

"I'm so shit with names." Calum said, giving a defeated shake of his head.

"Tell them to make you a cheat sheet." His friend giggled.

Calum shook his head and stepped to the fridge, opening the door and grabbing out a bottle of water after returning Duke to the floor.

*

"Calum? Calum?"

He was jolted from his sleep by the sound of his name and the gentle touch to his shoulder that accompanied it. He blinked furiously as he rubbed at his eyes and tried to gain his bearings as his eyes adjusted to the morning light.