Chapter 15

The fog rose across Gatham at night. Not that unusual to the people that called the city home. Traffic was normal along the highway at this time filled with numerous people just trying to get home after a long day at work. Though that didn't stop one car from going down at over 100mph while the others could barely reach 30. This was a normal thing. As soon as the citizens of Gotham heard the familiar roar of car that belonged to their resident hero, they moved out of the way, leaving a path the batmobile could easily maneuver around. 

The car weaved in and out of cars along the highway. Robin sat in the back seat feeling tense. It was not because he was about to break into some place to save a kid that was raised by Deathstroke. Oh no. That was the normal part of the night. It had more to do with the fact that Deathstroke was currently in the driver seat of the batmobile with Batman in the passenger seat. Neither said anything on this drive as if this was nothing but a normal outing for them. The only thing that put Robin at slight more ease was that Bruce only agreed to this if Slade traded out all his guns for rubber bullets and sharp weapons for more nonleathal ones. Granted that didn't mean he couldn't still have one hidden elsewhere on his body. Or, you know, he could just turn the wheel and drive them over the edge of the railing and kill them all.

And why was Slade at the wheel you may ask? He stormed out of the cave and sat in the driver seat stating he was the only one who knew the way. And stated that it would take to long to just give Batman the directions or location of the place. Granted Alfred was only on the other side of their comms and one word from Bruce could easily have him override it from the batcave. 

Though with the silence Robin really wanted to ask Slade more information about this kid. But all the questions have been asked and every time he refused to give an answer. Said something about it being up to the kid to share his information. So far his answers went as followed:

Kid's name? Shadow.

Real idenitity? Technically dead. 

Robin had a feeling that one had a double meaning to Deathstroke. Though he didn't know how.

Is the kid meta? No. 

Is he part alien or something else? He doesn't quite know. 

The bloodwork that Batman did when the caught him did come back as half unknown.

Did he have powers when they met? No.

How did they meet? He was wandering the streets in Gotham years ago and Deathstroke took him in and trained him.

That was all the information they had. It's not like they could do anything with it to find the kids' real identity. With how many runaways and orphans Gotham had, good luck. Though Bruce and Dick were certain that Slade knew the kid's identity. He just wasn't giving it. Whether he actually cared enough for this kid to let him tell them when he was ready or didn't want to tell them as he planned to break the promise and take the kid back anyways after this night, Dick wasn't sure. Regarless by the end of this night he would know where his brother was, whether Deathstroke told him willingly or he would hunt down Deathstroke himself.

"Are we getting close?" Robin finally asked after building up the courage to speak those few words.

What? He was afraid if he spoke a word to the crazed hitman for hire he'd get himself shot.

"Five minutes. Be ready." Deathstroke spoke with very little emotion that almost rivalled the bat himself.

Robin went silent after that. He stared out the window as he mentally prepared himself for what was to come. He let his mind wander back to the beginning of this lovely evening drive to go over what they knew of the man they were up against.