Chapter 5: Ceasefire

Kuroo looked at the clock. It was 6:28 am.

He put on his hood to cover his head when he left the limit of his territory and entered Oikawa's. He never looked up from the ground, and his hands were in his pockets, holding the butt of the gun through the fabric of his sweatshirt. He knew what he was doing was risky, he knew that if someone found out who he was they would kill him before he had time to draw his weapon. But there was no turning back.

He slipped down a dark, damp alley that smelled rotten. Not even the sun reached such remote corners as that, where rats and cockroaches roamed freely on the floor and walls, in and out of sewers full of stagnant and dirty water. His boots clattered in the puddles and splashed black drops across the pitted asphalt.

Kuroo knew the way to Oikawa's house but he had never walked it during the day, with the sun starting to illuminate the darkness of the night sky and in sight of dozens of beta's and omega's eyes that could attack him if they discovered who he was. But this time Kuroo was at peace, with no intention of killing anyone nor having sex with Oikawa. What's more, Kuroo normally didn't kill without good reason, he didn't like doing it because it brought back the dark memories that he had stored in the depths of his mind. His hands were no more stained with blood than the hands from other people, but that did not redeem him from his sins nor did it mean that he had not killed for the simple pleasure of doing so. He had done it several times to save his life, and a few others just to feel the adrenaline rush of taking a non-innocent life from a ruthless hunter. But despite it, deep in his heart, he hated doing it. It was enough to be the son of the Lunatic Alpha, that alpha who lost his mind and thrown himself against a barracks full of hunters to assassinate everyone who stood in his way... Including members of his own pack. He wasn't going to let that happen to him too, he wouldn't lose his mind. And for that reason he never, or almost never, killed. He wanted to avoid becoming an irrational killer like his father.

Kuroo kept walking through alleys, partially hidden from outsider's eyes, until he began to make out the building in which Oikawa lived a little further on. He accelerated his pace to arrive as soon as possible. He would use the same route of entry as always, but this time he was risking discovery and that fact sent a chill that shook his body from head to toe.

He tried to put that thought out of his mind and leave it blank. But he only got more nervous. When he reached the foot of the imposing white and gray stone building, his heart was beating so fast that anyone could have heard it. He looked up, three bricks to the right, where was the first ledge to lean on. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

He metamorphosed his hands into sharp claws that could more precisely grasp the ledges. The claws weren't much different from his human hands: slightly larger, with nails poised to scratch or lacerating cuts, and with more gripping strength. For that last reason was why Kuroo trusted them so much to be able to climb. Kuroo opened his eyes again, fixing his gaze on the window he was supposed to reach. Top floor of the building, the window on the left was the bathroom, the central one was Oikawa's room, the one on the right was the living room window.

With a little jump, his feet lifted off the ground as his claws dug into the ledge. He began to climb the wall very slowly, feeling the pale sun like an accusing eye that gave away his whereabouts with every beam that was aimed at his back. It was still early, so he prayed that no one was awake and leaning out of a window, or else he would be caught with just a quick glance through a curtain. But it was very early, so he held on to that fact and climbed with determination. He kept climbing, resting each foot on the ledge his claws left free. If he took a wrong step he would fall straight to the ground, but he was confident in his abilities. In less than 10 minutes he had reached the window of Oikawa's room, which had the curtain drawn. The interior was not visible.