Chapter 17: Full Moon

Bokuto paced the room thoughtfully again, circling the stay. He was tired but he had not been able to sleep, so he walked and walked in that room of the house to distract himself. He had been doing it all night, he hadn't slept; and now that the sun was breaking over the horizon and the light was pouring through the opaque sheet of paper that covered the window, he wasn't going to stop walking. The anxiety he felt had increased considerably in the last few hours and there was nothing that could stop the swirl of thoughts that wrapped like wisps of fog in the layers of his mind.

That night there was a full moon. It was the night the teal-eyed hunter had asked him to meet him, and despite having spent three weeks pondering that proposal, he still didn't know the answer. Would he dare go, risking being ambushed and killed at the hands of that skilled hunter and his companions? Was the curiosity to know why he had spared his life twice stronger than the survival instinct? Every time he thought he was getting closer to the correct answer, it vanished from his fingers like the smoke from the fire that had consumed his base. He kept thinking that attending the meeting would pose an unnecessary risk that, if it ended in his murder, would mean that his father had died in vain. His father had protected him and lost his life for it, and now he was going to risk wasting the second chance he had been given by the temptation of knowing why he hadn't been killed yet? It seemed absurd and nonsensical, like a tongue twister, and still... Still Bokuto wasn't able to give himself a "no" for an answer.

He opened the window and let the sun caress his face. He wanted to clear his mind, stop thinking about that hunter for a single moment, but sticking his head out the window had no effect. It's not like the sun's rays were magic, so Bokuto sighed giving up. He had had a severe headache for days, how was he supposed to make the right decision if that pain was killing him?

He needed to consult someone, but that could be dangerous: admitting that he had twice confronted a hunter who had spared his life could be risky. Even more so when he could have killed him both times if he had only had a little more courage, if he had not allowed himself to be carried away. Did that mean that he had shown mercy to a hunter? Or that he wasn't strong and determined enough to kill him? He didn't even know which of the two was the question he must answer. What had led him not to kill the hunter in Kuroo's territory? Bokuto had its claws on his neck, one simple movement and he would have ripped the hunter's throat. Death almost instantly.

But he hadn't been able to do it. Why? He did not know, he did not know it. His head was spinning.

Ah, dammit, he thought, throwing his hands to his head. What I am going to do?

***

"What are we going to do now?" Oikawa asked in a whisper.

"I don't know," Kuroo sighed. "I guess hiding it, just like we've done when this was just about sex."

Oikawa nodded silently. They were both lying on the bed, Kuroo leaning against the wall behind and Oikawa between his legs, leaning on him with his back pressed against Kuroo's chest. They had not yet dressed, only the thin sheet covered their naked bodies to the waist, stained with sweat and other body fluids expelled during the night in heat and during the morning after Kuroo's confession. But neither of them cared in the least. The room had a pungent smell, a mixture of the pheromones emitted during their heat, the smell of sex, sweat and semen; but it also smelled sweet: it was the smell of affection and love that they professed for each other, a smell that, until that moment, they had repressed with all the force of their being without even being aware of it, as a reflex action of their bodies so as not to give themselves away and put the other in danger.

Oikawa played with Kuroo's right hand: he caressed his palm with the tips of his fingers, intertwined them with Kuroo's fingers, joined their hands gently placing a kiss on the back from time to time... Meanwhile, Kuroo was delighted to see him smile every time he stroked Oikawa's hair lovingly or watching him close his eyes every time he tenderly kissed him on the cheek.