Chapter 23: Blue meets red

RECOMMENDED SONG: HOMESICK BY DUA LIPA

Suna knocked twice on the door and they both waited a few seconds until they heard footsteps approaching the door. Neither of them could do anything before Osamu was nearly thrown to the ground when his brother lunged towards him to hug him.

"You're an idiot!"

"Hello to you too," Osamu said with a chuckle. Atsumu broke away from him and looked at him with glassy eyes. "You're a crybaby. You've always been the more sentimental of the two of us."

"Shut up," Atsumu muttered, pursing his lips. "Let's go inside."

Osamu and Suna followed Atsumu into the traditional-looking and spotless house. Both betas sat next to each other, in front of Atsumu, in a small room with a kotatsu table in the center.

"Do you know the danger you face?" Atsumu asked, his face screwed up in a scowl of anger and perhaps fear, his gaze fixed on his twin.

"Oh please... Not you too, I've had enough dealing with Bokuto this whole month. We've trained non-stop, we're all prepared for whatever happens, we're not idiots. We know how dangerous it is, 'Tsumu."

"But you... Samu, you face something— someone much more dangerous than the rest. And you too, Suna."

"I knew it," Suna said. "Sakusa acted way too solemn to us while training."

"Suna will be with me. I won't be alone on this mission, 'Tsumu. Don't worry, I'll be fine, your fear is unfounded," Osamu said. Atsumu looked down at the blanket over the table before lifting his gaze up again and looking at him sadly. "Hey, I'm serious. We're ready for the mission, which, by the way, we still don't know what it's about."

"You're here for that," Atsumu said with a regretful sigh. "But first of all, let me say something: be careful. You're gonna risk much more than the others, you're gonna face the most dangerous person in the guild. I know Suna's a good guy and you'll support each other," he said looking at the other beta, "but that won't be enough in your case. You must be very careful."

"We have the support of Bokuto's ally."

"Still..." Atsumu sighed again and bit his lip. He looked away and shook his head slightly. "Why did you volunteered to carry out this mission, Samu? Omi-kun's not your alpha, you didn't have to participate in this."

"If you thought I was gonna let you fight alone and be the only one to face Sakusa— Wait, did you just call him Omi-kun?"

"Y-yeah, well..." Atsumu stammered, blushing to his scalp.

"Is everything okay with him?"

"Yeah, he's not... He's not what you think he is, Samu. He hasn't marked me, if you're thinking of that. Nor has he touched me. He's an amazing alpha, he's attentive and caring, and he's very sweet, actually."

"You're the only one who thinks that," Suna intervened with a wry smile.

"That's because you haven't spent time with him, you don't know him!" Atsumu defended the alpha.

"Of course, because he's never let anyone get close enough to know more about him. He's always been a mystery, very distant and unattainable... Or at least he was until you arrived. You're now like, the apple of his eye or something like that," Suna said mockingly.

"N-not true," Atsumu whispered lowering his gaze with flushed cheeks.

Osamu looked at Suna with a raised eyebrow, but Suna only shrugged, a small smile still playing at the corners of his lips. Osamu wanted to laugh. This was something he hadn't expected: Atsumu, his twin brother, the most stubborn omega in the world... blushing like a teenager?