Chapter 24: Monster

RECOMMENDED SONG: DEVIL DEVIL BY MILCK

Akaashi walked down the hall with a thin folder containing the list of all the applicants of the trials and the corresponding label: "suitable" or "not suitable." Of the 1,873 people who had taken the trials, only 204 had passed the physical tests. During the psychological tests the number dropped to 129 applicants. Akaashi hid a proud smile; Daichi, Hanamaki, Osamu, and Suna had been four of the 129 suitable people. Mental toughness and physical prowess after years of beta-instruction in their own packs and involuntary training due to their constant flight from hunters made them practically perfect soldiers, worthy of being accepted as something more than mere soldiers.

Now only the last test remained, the most difficult one: the sacrifice of a child. Akaashi wondered if they would be able to overcome it just as they had overcome the others, so he walked with a light step to what the hunters commonly knew as "the sacrificial room", a kind of circular-shaped arena in the style of the ancient roman coliseums. There were stands where other hunters could go to see that last test, the initiation rite. Akaashi had never come to see it, he didn't want to witness it. He had had enough of his own experience. But this time he needed to do it, he had to make sure everything was going well.

He was so lost in thought that when he crossed the corner he didn't realize that someone was walking towards him also distracted. The two collided and all the papers in the folder scattered on the floor.

"Sorry, Akaashi."

"Ah, don't worry, Iwaizumi-san," Akaashi said, bending down to pick up the papers. Iwaizumi bent down to help him as well. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"I'm a bit distracted too, no problem."

Akaashi raised his head and looked at Iwaizumi's face. He looked uncomfortable, even affected. He was frowning, chewing his lip non-stop, and his eyes were sunken and unfocused. As he gathered up papers, the omega noticed that the commander's hands were shaking.

"Is something wrong, Iwaizumi-san?"

"What? Oh, uh, kinda... It's because of Suga."

They both stood up when there were no more papers left, and at that moment Akaashi could better appreciate Iwaizumi's pale face and his grimace of displeasure, even sadness.

"What's wrong? Is he alright?" Akaashi asked.

"Yeah, he's better than ever. That's the problem," Iwaizumi said in disgust. "Bah, it doesn't matter. I shouldn't speak ill of him, he's a comrade and the grandson of the General."

"And you're also talking to one of his captains," Akaashi said amused. "But don't worry, I won't say anything. You too are one of my superiors, I can't speak if I'm not given a direct order."

Iwaizumi smirked a bit wickedly but didn't say anything else about Suga. He put a hand on Akaashi's shoulder and squeezed lightly as if encouraging him. "If you go to the sacrificial room, be careful. Don't let your bastard commander wash your brain, Akaashi. And... if you can help it, don't watch the show. It's not pleasant and it's not worth it either."

Akaashi nodded uneasily, pursing his lips until they became a fine line. Iwaizumi gave him one last squeeze on the shoulder and left. Akaashi sighed and looked reluctantly at the pile of papers in his hand before heading back on his way. He wasn't prepared to witness that bloody ordeal again, that ruthless murder that the hunters who watched as spectators clapped and cheered as if their favorite team had won the game. It was disgusting to see... but he had to. He had to make sure the betas passed the test, he had to be there for them to see him and remember their mission.