Chapter 30: Shut up and behave

RECOMMENDED SONG: BLOOD // WATER BY GRANDSON

Oikawa's eyes were wide open, jaw on the floor. He was breathing hard, as if his lungs weren't working right and he was choking. He covered his mouth with one hand and tried to swallow hard to bring down the nausea that crept up his throat.

"I'll leave you the report I received," Bokuto said in a small voice. "I know it's not the best news, but..."

"The best news?" Kuroo muttered. "It's sick."

Oikawa picked up the report Bokuto had slid across the table, with such force that the paper crumpled between his fingers. He jumped up and ran out of the room crumpling the paper, still not taking his hand from his mouth. He was about to vomit, the sour taste of bile stinging and burning at the back of his throat. He wanted to cry or scream or do something other than run, but his body wasn't responding emotionally, it was as if his brain blocked all reaction.

A warm hand grasped his —the one still holding the crumpled paper— and made him stop. Then he felt arms wrap around his shoulders from behind and a calm voice speaking in his ear.

"Breathe with me, okay? Breathe in... breathe out..."

Oikawa obeyed. He didn't have enough strength to oppose it. But then the pressure in his chest increased so much that it became unbearable and a strangled sob broke the cage in which Oikawa was holding it at bay. Tears trickled down his cheeks and his entire body became a shaking and trembling mess. Kuroo released him and slowly turned him to hug him lovingly as Oikawa burst into tears and broken groans, screaming with his head hidden in Kuroo's chest. They slowly slid to the ground until they were on their knees, but at no point did Oikawa feel the arms that held him loosen.

"It was them!" he sobbed. "Iwa-chan thinks it was my mom but it was them! They killed my entire pack, my parents... And his! Dammit!"

"What are you gonna do?"

"I-I don't know."

"He has to know. Iwaizumi I mean."

"And how do you expect me to tell him?" Oikawa snapped against Kuroo's chest. "He hates me and all he thinks when he sees me is to kill me because he blames me for a crime that we didn't really commit. How am I going to tell him?"

"We'll find a way, okay? The proof that it wasn't your mother is under his roof, he can read those reports himself first-hand."

"And how are we going to get him to read them?"

"We'll find a way, but not now. Before that you have to let everything out and calm down. Cry all you need, scream, shout... Whatever you do, I'll stay here with you, okay?"

Oikawa pulled away from Kuroo's chest and looked at him with red, wet eyes. Kuroo smiled fondly at him and kissed his forehead; he brushed his hair from Oikawa's wet cheeks and wiped away the tears, though he knew they would soon reappear. Oikawa hugged Kuroo again to converge all the good feelings that pooled inside him without the need for words. Kuroo was always there when he needed him and kept him grounded at the same time that he was able to lift him up to the sky.

He grabbed onto Kuroo's shirt, crumpling the paper even more in his hand, and continued crying out loud, thinking of his mother and Iwaizumi and all that he lost because of the hunters. But the firm hands that held him made him realize that he had also gained some good things throughout his life, and although he was sad, the smell of fire that gave off Kuroo's skin was comforting and reassuring, as if he knew that he was at home. So that way, cradled and protected in the arms of his alpha, the only person he needed at that moment, he cried.