45: The Third Trimester

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I just have to go into the office later," I complained and she smiled sadly.

"I'll be fine Sho," she assured me, hugging me as best she could. We spent the morning relaxing together, neither of us needing to do anything too straining and the pair of us just sitting on the sofa watching various things on TV. The baby began kicking quite a lot so I rubbed my hand against her belly in an effort to calm them down, and it seemed to work.

Thoughts clouded my mind however, thoughts of me not capable of being a good father. I pulled my hand away from (y/n)'s stomach quickly, making her look up at me from where her head was resting on my lap. She saw the solemn look in my eye and immediately knew what was going through my mind, no matter how much I tried to mask it. Despite her already knowing, she asked me what was wrong and I knew her well enough by now that she was coaxing me into voicing my concerns aloud. "I just... I'm nervous (y/n), and not just 'parent for the first time' nervous, I'm scared I'm going to do something seriously wrong to either you or them, I'm scared I'm going to hurt them with my flames-,"

"Shut up," she said. Those two simple words did the trick, and I snapped my mouth shut, unsure about what she was going to say. "Pass me your phone."

Of all the things she was going to say, I didn't expect that. I did as I was told though, fishing it from my pocket and handing it to her. She knew the code to access it, then went straight onto the internet. "Look. You have eight tabs open, all of them are about pregnancy, becoming a father... look, this one is literally titled 'how to change a baby'. Not only this but you have read every single baby book we own so many times that I am more than certain that you could recite the first chapters of each. Don't you remember how you remodelled the study to create an amazing paradise for our baby filled with toys and everything we could possibly need? Don't you remember all those times you held back my hair when I had morning sickness, or all those times you helped me get in and out of the bath, or all those times you stayed awake with me when I couldn't sleep because the baby was kicking?"

"All of those things you've done already proves how much of an amazing boyfriend you are, and more importantly, how much of an amazing father you are. I know what goes through that head of yours Shoto, but you have to remember that you are not your old man. Please, please stop doubting yourself because you've already proven yourself to be amazing whether you've realised it or not, with all the big things you've done like remodel the room and research every possible thing, as well as all the little things you've done like help me walk and even feed me."

"Please, don't doubt yourself anymore because you're already an amazing father," she enforced. Her look of sincerity made my heart swell, and I felt as though I could cry.

"Y-you really think all of those things?" I asked nervously.

"Of course I do Shoto. I can already picture you playing with him or her in their baby room," she smiled brightly. I began to believe in myself a little, my anxiety disappearing a bit from her words of support. "I love you," she said before I could say it first.

"I love you too (y/n)," I cupped her cheek, then pulling her in for a sweet kiss. We stayed in each others arms for a while until it was time for me to head into the office. I reluctantly left her warm grasp, sternly telling her to call me if she needed me for absolutely anything.

"Of course I will Shoto," she laughed, kissing me one last time. "Now go, the city needs you."

"I'll see you later tonight," I waved as I walked out of the door. With one last glance at her I got into the car, then heading to the office.

- Timeskip -

Trudging, I walked down the garden path and lazily unlocked the front door. I never expected to be back so late, but I had sent multiple apology texts to (y/n) and she didn't seem to mind. It was 01:00 and I chucked the keys carelessly on the shoe box after locking the door, heading straight upstairs to our shared bedroom. When I opened the bedroom door however I was surprised to see that (y/n) was sat on the bed wide awake, flicking through a magazine. "Welcome home," she said, her voice showing signs of tiredness.