There were so many unanswered questions. About the past and the future. The least of which is where will they live? Would they even live together?

Emily knew Finn didn't have a permanent residence. He just went wherever the mission was and made it his home until something else came along. Would he want to keep up the nomad lifestyle? Would she travel around the world, not having a home for herself? Spending her days in limbo, waiting for him to return from a mission?

This thought had shaken her confidence. She and Finn would be together, Emily was sure of it. But what would her life look like? She had a job back in Washington and it meant a great deal to her. It was important to be useful in life, to do good work, to help people, to right the wrongs. This yearning didn't need to be fulfilled at the firm she was at now, but she did need to do something.

And what about her family? Despite the pressures they put on her, they were important. She loved watching Ben grow up. Couldn't wait to meet her new niece when she arrived. Then there was Mary and her father. Without her rational guidance, what would become of them? How could Emily not be part of their lives?

The loud noise of a car horn exploded in her ears bringing her back to reality. More pressing matters were at hand. The small white car transporting her and her security detail was trying to merge into a sea of traffic. From what Emily could see, there was just a swarm of life, with no rhyme nor reason in front of them and she had no idea how they would get to the next street, never mind the US Consulate.

But Officer Kim was not deterred. He swiftly and elegantly eased the little compact into the flow of cars and negotiated turn after turn as if he himself was orchestrating the traffic. Emily attempted to focus on the hustle and bustle of life they passed, rather than the process of driving.

This was Colombia. The streets were jammed with carts full of fresh fruits and vegetables, cafes and bars, office buildings and shops, all densely populated with people. Everything seemed foreign, yet familiar to Emily. It was life. Everyone going about their daily affairs, buying groceries for dinner, meeting for a coffee, finding an outfit for a special occasion. She was amazed and interested in it all. Having not been anywhere except for a few months in Japan years ago, she was dazed by the teeming life outside of the gates of the base.

True to the Commander's word, in about 10 minutes, the car pulled up to a walled, single-storied, modern concrete building. The US flag was flying atop and its crest garnished the gates, where a guard, dressed in a khaki brown uniform, inspected Officer Kim's credentials and guided them to a parking space near the building's side door. Another guard came out and escorted them into the consulate. As they passed through the doors, frigid air conditioning hit Emily and caused goosebumps to flash across her skin.

Officer Kim had helped her wash her clothes and she was once again wearing her jeans and a white dress shirt. Her raincoat was draped over a chair in her temporary room. No need for it in this oppressive heat. Emily would have preferred to tie her hair back, but her only elastic was currently reminding Finn she loved him. It left her long hair loose and a little wild from the humid climate. She shoved some errant strands behind her ear in an attempt to make herself presentable.

They were led down a dimly lit corridor spilling out into a large room. It was filled with bored looking people all standing in a windy line, defined by red velvet ropes, leading to two little desks. Each one was manned by an official-looking clerk, surrounded by paperwork and an antiquated computer. One of them was helping a man dressed in a crisp white suit and the other was crowded with a little group consisting of a woman with brunette hair and three young children that shared her hair colour, all looking tired and frustrated. Emily and her two escorts passed the two desks and made their way into a small office in the back.

"Sir, Miss Emily Montgomery here."

A stocky man with short-cropped hair and thick glasses, looked up from the slim laptop at the corner of a large mahogany desk.

"Ah, Miss Montgomery." He smiled at her, "Please have a seat."

Emily took the chair on the left in front of the huge desk. Private Kim stood at her side and the other officer exited, closing the door behind him. It turned out all she needed to do was sign her name a few times on some official papers, get her picture taken and a temporary passport was hers. Everything was signed and sealed and half an hour later, she was taking leave of the office, making her way across the large room.

The knot in Emily's chest started to ease. She would be back at the base soon. There would be nothing for Finn to worry about.

When she passed the first desk, she locked eyes with the woman with the three children and smiled at her in sympathy for still being there. The mother smiled back, and then the expression slipped from her face, followed by a look of confusion. Emily felt a blast of intense heat that knocked her off her feet. She heard an ear cracking boom as she fell backwards. When her head hit the floor, everything went black.