54 | university

Magsimula sa umpisa

Benjamin doesn't know the magnitude of what Brittany has against him. I do. So I can somewhat reconcile the terrible things he has done, but not completely. After all, the speed with which Derek left obviously points to some leftover guilt.

I cough lightly, clearing the awkward fog in the air. "How was it?"

Forcefully unclenching his jaw, Benjamin replies sullenly, "We won."

"That's great! I knew you could do it. Come on," I nudge his side with my elbow. "Don't look so sad just because of Derek." A few seconds pass. Then, his mouth stretches into a watery smile.

"There we go. Not so hard." Benjamin's smile gets progressively larger, beams of warmth spreading through the atmosphere. "Tell me all about it. What schools were there? Did you see Parmillan?" I ask, referring to one of the rival schools from New Jersey he mentioned.

"Yeah, they were. The second we walked in, evil eyes and trash talk started flying. It was amazing we didn't get disqualified for coarse language, I tell you..." We walk out of school together while Benjamin regales me with a recount of his day.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Quentin, Callum and I organised a guided tour around Halston University to get a taste of the campus today. Callum drove us in his camo green pickup, jabbering the whole hour's ride long. Gentle morning sunlight warms my face when I exit his car, illuminating the lush, daisy-filled grass and picnic benches. Scattered around the lawn are red brick buildings, each with rows and rows of windows.

As a group, we begin our trek to the student union. Quentin supposedly corresponded with the guide to meet us there at ten. Though the building looks rather quiet, I trust Quen's organisation skills completely. I use the map on the back cover of the university prospectus to navigate, taking in the scenery as we walk. We pass the clock tower, and I can see the top of the faraway stadium peering over the trees.

"Well, he should be here..." Quen mutters, upon our arrival at the front entrance of the student union.

There's no-one outside. I suggest, "Maybe he went inside?"

Just at that moment, a young man calls out. He seems to have come from the opposite direction from which we came. "Is one of you Quentin?"

"I am." Quen raises his hand, and exchanges a handshake when he reaches us. "Carter, right?"

"Yes. Nice to meet you," the man says, shaking each of our hands. He wears a lanyard with a name tag, keys and a pen hanging off the string.

"This is Sophie and Callum," Quentin introduces.

Carter smiles widely, gesturing to the pathway. "Shall we?" We enthusiastically follow him as the tour begins.

"So, you probably already know the student union. Inside is one of the five cafeterias on campus, as well as a games lounge and a few lecture halls. It's basically hangout central, especially in summer because of the bomb air conditioning."

As Carter explains the purpose of each building we stroll past, he mostly keeps his gaze on us. Sometimes he will look at whatever architectural feature he is describing, but surely enough comes back to fix on us his friendly smile.

"Do you know what you want your major to be?" Carter asks. "It'll help me decide where to take you and what route to walk."

"Callum and I are studying Engineering," Quentin answers.

I sigh, "No idea."

"No worries. That's absolutely fine," Carter assures me, his eyes fixed on my face. "I was like that, too, coming into college."