54 | university

SOME PART OF ME IS startled when Derek approaches me in the hallway outside our Calc classroom. His hair looks freshly pomaded, eyes ablaze with something akin to excitement.

Derek has been slowly reviving himself these past two weeks, and comes to school looking more alive than I've ever known him. Out of habit, I almost roll my eyes at him, but refrain. We've been talking more, in Calc and Music. He thinks I've given up on the Revolution — since I make an effort not to bring it up around him — but the fact that it is still very much alive keeps me from letting him get too close.

"Hey," he begins, sidling up against the wall I'm leaning on. "You're still here."

Last period has recently ended, so I assumed he'd have raced out of school as soon as possible. "Yeah. You are too."

"Waiting for someone?"

Keeping my eyes trained on the floor, I say, "Benjamin." I'm waiting for him to come back from his Mathletes finals. From what he had told me in a succinct text, the ride back from the host school was long enough to lull him to sleep.

Benjamin asked to wait here for him, but made no mention of the actual results. He frustratingly said he wants to deliver the news in person. What a tease.

Derek seems to want to say more, but I quickly divert the conversation to another topic. "How are your kids?"

Confused creases fold between his eyebrows, only momentarily, before Derek realises that I'm referring to the kids he teaches guitar to. "Good. They're a smart group."

But even as he says this, I notice his jaw tense and the storminess of his eyes. It's not anger per se, but definitely different to that spirited Derek I've been seeing lately. Maybe it's a sore point to talk about his students. He obviously cares for them deeply, and the more people that know about his partiality to them, the more people could use it against him.

Of course, I would never drag children into this. But I know he has a dark view of the world, shaped by years being exposed to its shadowiest corners. Call it his weakness that he's been hiding for who-knows-how-long. Having someone suddenly intrude on such a personal secret must be quite aggravating, so never mind whether Derek trusts me or not. At this point, just my knowing about this is a risk that he might be regretting taking.

I'm rethinking what to say next, when a voice interrupts. "Sophie! We— what are you doing here?"

Benjamin storms up beside me. His fiery glare pierces Derek, who shuffles hesitantly backwards. My chest flutters with trepidation. The volatile history between Derek and Benjamin — before I even arrived at Carsonville — is no secret to me, from the fist fight they were in with Reece and Drew at the start of the year to Derek sabotaging the Mathletes last year.

But something else occurs to me for the first time. To even make it to the New York semifinals and finals, Derek must have had to play the part in all the months leading up to it. Tryouts, practises, prelims, qualifiers.

Benjamin did mention he was rather apathetic but for months, Derek had to have been dedicated enough to pull it off. Did Derek and Benjamin behave like friends? Did they get to know each other? Does Benjamin feel like he was betrayed in more ways than one?

"Derek was just leaving," Benjamin spits, looking menacingly at him. "Wasn't he?"

"Yeah." Derek sighs tiredly. "But before I go, I'm sorry about last year. You deserved better, and I hope you found that this year. See you, Soph."

"That's a shit apology."

"That's my best." Neither boys speak or look at each other, coldly brushing shoulders as Derek pushes past us.