Undoubtedly The Truth

Whitley took another step back from Simon

Whitley took another step back from Simon. The fabric of her midnight dress shimmered as she moved. A chill ran across the balcony.

"So you mean to tell me..."

Grimacing, Simon said, "That you kissed my brother and thought it was me? Yes, that is precisely what I am attempting to convey."

Her gloved hand still hovered over her mouth, and Simon gritted his teeth as he waited for her to say something else. But she didn't. And to make matters worse, he saw his brother and Lady Blair out of the corner of his eye. They were just inside the large window panes, conversing. Undoubtedly scheming.

"There are likely waiting to enjoy a show," Simon said dryly. He'd kept his voice relatively low, not really intending for Whitley to hear. But apparently, she did.

"They?"

Simon nodded toward the windows, and Whitley's head whipped around. The two of them looked to Sawyer and Blair, who were practically on top of each other as they spoke. Honestly, Simon was surprised his mother hadn't marched over there and yanked them apart. "Apparently, they have been colluding together to play matchmaker. My brother thought he would kiss you to help me." Simon fought an eye roll at the thought.

"Dear me," Whitley moaned. "What ridiculous nonsense is that." She pursed her lips before adding, "I cannot believe Blair would involve herself so. And I wouldn't believe it except for it rather explains what I saw in the library earlier. Although I think that had very little to do with us and much more to do with them."

Simon frowned. "What do you mean?"

Whitley squinted toward the windows. "There is something....there."

"Something there?"

Swiveling back toward him, Whitley raised a brow. "Yes, something there. Between them."

Simon's frown twisted in amusement. "You don't say."

"I do." She paused and then leaned forward conspiratorially. "Say, Simon?"

"Hm?"

"Perhaps...well, perhaps they ought to be exposed to their own trickery."

Simon rose a brow. "If you are suggesting that I kiss Blair—"

"No." Whitley shook her head quickly. "No, not that, of course."

The way she appeared displeased by the idea made Simon want to smile. Honestly, this whole conversation was turning out much better than he had expected. Simon allowed a little smirk and said, "Well, Sawyer certainly needs to learn that his damn actions have consequences."

A grin immediately blossomed on Whitley's face. She did not even flinch from his language, instead saying, "I do believe we can do that."

And then without warning, Whitley stepped toward Simon only to push at his chest again. Gasping, she stepped back dramatically, covering her mouth in the same fashion she did before.