Confusing The Twins

Sawyer stood in the doorway to the library, appreciating the way Lady Blair continued to bite her lip as she paged through some bloody ginormous book

He also appreciated the way that she was wearing a dress. There were no trousers to drive a man insane today.

Well, at least for now anyway.

"Are you waiting until I grant you permission to enter, or why are you standing there all adrift?" Lady Blair droned the words, not even bothering to look up at Sawyer.

He cleared his throat, feeling a twinge of uncharacteristic embarrassment for the way she called him out so. But he quickly shook it off.

"Naturally, I was waiting for your permission," Sawyer drawled while he forced a smirk.

"Hmm," Blair muttered beneath her breath. "I do not grant it:"

Sawyer's lips drew into a thin line.

He had not expected that.

He should have expected that.

Ignoring her, he walked into the room regardless, and Lady Blair's head popped up. Her brow rose, and it was her turn to smirk. She'd known he was going to do that.

Sawyer scowled. For some reason, he could not stay ahead of this woman.

Clearing his throat, Sawyer said, "I spent most of yesterday afternoon reading Great Expectations, and it was not, in fact, great."

"Excuse me?" Lady Blair said, her smirk falling a tad. But then she dismissed him, peering back down at her book. "How absurd. Of course it is great."

Sawyer made himself comfortable in an available armchair and opened his mouth to dispute the topic when a frazzled looking Simon appeared in the door.

"Ah! Viscount Payne," Blair said with an annoying amount of enthusiasm. "Please do come in."

Sawyer glared at the lady.

Simon, however, did not even glance toward Blair. He did not even seem to hear her, either. His eyes were trained specifically on Sawyer, and they were flaring bright.  "I cannot believe you would do that." Simon stormed into the room, and soon his hands were wrapped around Sawyer's cravat, yanking him to his feet.

"What the devil?" Sawyer shoved him off. "Do what?"

Simon pushed at Sawyer's chest, making him fall back into his armchair, and Sawyer thought he did not care for this literal push and pull.

"Kiss Whitley!" Simon hissed.

Right.

Sawyer leaned to the left, swiftly dodging Simon's fist as it hit the cushions instead of his face.

Somewhere in the background, Blair's gasp cut through Simon's panting. God only knew how far his brother had stormed to get here or how many rooms he'd searched before finding Sawyer.