Chapter Three: Powerless

Start from the beginning

"Let's do the sandbags before it's too late, then we can figure out what to do about breakfast." He nods, stretching and reaching for the sky before getting out of bed. In the morning light, I can see his chest is covered in light hair and tattoos cover his bare skin. He isn't fat but doesn't have a six-pack either.

Black lines dance along his skin in alluring patterns, over his shoulders, down his back, and down his biceps. I want to see what the words say on his rib cage, but I'm interrupted.

"I don't think Ryan would approve." He bends down to pick up the discarded sweatpants, and I realize he's in his boxers. I leave the room, my cheeks growing warm in embarrassment.

Ace wasn't anything like Aidan. He was the complete opposite. Where Aidan had the perfect washboard abs, Ace did not. Where Aidan had a bare chest, Ace certainly did not. Ace is pure man, where Aidan was still a boy.

Slipping into our shared bathroom, I quickly brush my teeth and slide my brush through my knotted hair. He knocks on the door right as I was considering swiping some gloss on my lips.

"Don't make me wait too long." I look at him, seeing he only put on the sweatpants.

"Sure thing, Princess. I'll meet you downstairs." I don't know if I should like the nickname that he's given me, or if it's an insult.

I don't get a chance to wait for him downstairs because he's already racing down the stairs as I reach the last step. We both pause in front of the huge living room window and wince. It's pouring, and the waves have reached the wall around my house. Things are not looking good.

I'm instantly struck with fear. I didn't survive the accident to die in a hurricane. There's no way. How could this happen to me?

"Let's get those sandbags. We don't have much time before the water comes over the wall." He heads for the garage, but I can't move.

"Hey, princess, I know I'm strong and all, but some help would be nice." I nod, following him into the humid garage.

"Have you done this before?" I ask, staring at the huge pile of bags.

"No, but I'm sure the main idea is to cover all the holes, so water can't come in. Do you think you can pick this up?" He hands me a bag, looking unsure. It's heavy, but I'm strong and can manage.

"No problem. I'm stronger than I look, Asshole." I love the laugh that bursts through his lips.

"Let's do this!" He's way too excited to go outside, but we brace the crazy weather together, covering all the holes and getting soaked. Two hours later, I'm cold and hungry.

My hair keeps going into my face, and my clothes are stuck to me. Ace is carrying the last bag to put in front of the front door. He hadn't complained once. Aidan would have bitched and moaned the whole time. He couldn't do anything for someone other than himself.

"Go hop in the shower quick, princess. I'll get breakfast started." He's so selfless.

"I'll be five minutes." True to my word, I quickly showered and changed into a t-shirt and pants, wishing that my legs weren't scarred but that they were long, tan, and beautiful. Grabbing my phone, I rush down the stairs to help Ace.

"I've never met a girl who can actually shower in five minutes." He's made us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, two each, and I'm surprised how excited I am to sink my teeth into them.

"Go shower quick. I'll be waiting." He laughs and shakes his head, water drops falling down his cheeks from his wet hair.

"As you wish, your majesty." He laughs even harder at the scowl on my face, then darts up the stairs. I hear the shower turn on a few seconds later.