Jessie Fleming - The Dark Side

"Chelsea? Really? Of all the teams!", I exclaim, holding my phone in front of my face, on FaceTime to my girlfriend. Jessie just rolled her eyes.

"When are you going to get over it?", she asked me, "I thought you'd be happy I was joining you over in the UK?", she questioned me, as she had every other time we'd had this discussion since she'd informed me she'd be joining the dark side.

"I am happy about that, but", I paused, "Chelsea? Really? I totally could have got you in at Arsenal!", I told her, for the umpteenth time.

"They have a good team!", she replied, yet again rolling her eyes at my complaining, "and I don't want to get onto a team because my girlfriend pulled some strings", she explained to me, "I want to play for a club that wants me".

"Yeah yeah, you're telling me you didn't get offers from any other clubs in England?", I questioned her.

"None that were in London", Jessie informed me with a raised eyebrow, "so I actually picked the team that was closest to where you are", she gave me a look, telling me I should be thankful, though I knew that I definitely wasn't the main reason she chose to sign with Chelsea, it's nice to think that me being nearby had a little to do with it.

"At least you didn't pick Tottenham", I told her, making her laugh as I made a fake gagging sound afterwards.

Jessie and I had been together for almost two years now, since we'd both been twenty. We'd met at UCLA, which she attended for the full four years, and I'd attended for about the first year and a half, before dropping out and heading back to the UK.

I'd grown up playing in both the Sunderland youth teams and England youth teams, following in the steps of players like Jordan Nobbs, Lucy Bronze and Beth Mead, but had made a rash decision when I turned eighteen that I wanted to play in the US, and the best way to do that at the time was to play at collage there. So I'd attended UCLA and the first year went pretty well, the football was great and the school stuff was alright. I'm not particularly academic but I studied sports science which was pretty easy to get through, considering I was surrounded by people who had studied it, all the time. But after a while I guess I just got board of the school stuff and just wanted to do the football stuff, so I made the decision to try to go pro.

I had planned on re-signing with Sunderland, this time for the full team, but when people heard I'd decided to quit collage and go pro for real, I'd got a few offers from a couple of different clubs, and not just clubs back in the UK. NWSL teams gave me offers, and even a couple of lesser known European ones. But I knew England was the place for me, at least for the moment, so I signed for Man City and played there for a year before transferring to Arsenal where I'd been ever since.

Jessie has supported me through it all, she always said that whatever I wanted to do, so long as I was happy, she'd be right behind me. And I was the same for her, it was just a slight kick in the shins that she'd signed with Chelsea, of all the teams. And let me tell you, when I say the rest of the Arsenal girls will never let me live down the fact my girlfriend joined the dark side, I mean, they will literally never stop mentioning it.

But I was glad she was going to be so close by, and I was reminded of that fact as I sat with her in FaceTime right now, while she sat in her basically empty bedroom at her parents house back in London, Canada and I sat in my seemingly empty bedroom in my shared flat in London, England. I'd cleared some space in the cupboards and draws in my room, which was soon to be the room I shared with Jessie, in preparation for her flying out the next day.

"I can't wait until you get here", I told her smiling, "have you packed everything?".

"I can't wait to be there", she told me, "and of course I've packed everything, unlike some people I don't leave all my packing to the last minute", she teased, because of course by some people, she meant me, "is Jill excited to see me?", she asked jokingly, referring to my teammate and roommate, Jill Roord, who was one of the prime suspects when it came to teasing me about Jessie's choice in signing.

"Oh yeah, she can't wait for you to get here", I told her sarcastically, "she can't wait to hide all of you left socks", I laughed. Jill had made it particularly clear that while she was absolutely fine having Jessie move in with us, she definitely wouldn't stop the teasing and she definitely wouldn't go any lighter on Jessie. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't going to tease my girlfriend about it constantly. It's just friendly competition, and I knew Jessie would definitely end up giving as good as she got, just as she did whenever we played each other internationally.

"Why the left ones?", Jessie laughed.

"Would you prefer she hid all of them?", I questioned her, raising her eyebrow, "or just the right ones? Do you have a special personal relationship with your left socks?"

Jessie just laughed, she would have shoved my shoulder if she'd been sat next to me.

"I miss you so much it's actually killing me slowly", I told her then, over dramatically of course, and flopped over the back on the sofa, right next to where Jill was sat watching the Manchester derby that was currently being played.

"I miss you too", Jessie said sweetly, before my phone was ripped from my hand, "hi Jill", my girlfriend greeted my roommate.

"Hello traitor", Jill said, "when are you getting here?", she asked, "she won't stop going in about how much she misses you", she tilted her head towards me, as I still lay flopped over the back of the seat.

"My flight is literally tomorrow", Jessie told her, rolling her eyes, "I've only been gone a few days".

"And she's been super annoying for all of them", Jill confirmed, I decided that was enough and snatched my phone back off of her.

"I will not take any more of this slander", I joked, "I'm allowed to miss my girlfriend", I defended myself.

"Y/n, we've literally spent the last two years of our relationship away from each other for months at a time", Jessie explained to me, Jill just went back to watching the game.

"Yeah but", I started, pausing to think of any excuse as to why I'd been complaining about missing her so much, "I'm allowed to miss my girlfriend", I repeated, "and now I know I'm going to have you around all the time I can't wait".

Jessie smiled, "I've missed you too", she repeated her statement from earlier, "so much that it's killing me slowly", she smirked, mocking me.

"Good", I told her, "there's a lot to miss", I said gesturing to my whole body, she just rolled her eyes at me again.

"I do miss your body", Jessie admits, "I can't wait to kiss you again".

"If you guys are going to have phone sex, could you at least do to the other room", Jill states, "I'm trying to watch the game", she turns her head to look at me, staring at me with a deadpan look.

"I'm flying tomorrow I'm sure y/n can wait one more day", Jessie giggled.

"Ugh fine", I sighed over dramatically.

"I'm gonna have to go now", Jessie mumbled, "I can't wait to see you", she informed me again.

"Ok, I can't wait to see you either, love you", I blew a kiss at the screen.

"Love you too", Jessie blew a kiss back before saying bye and hanging up the call.

"I can't wait until I have to live with all the lovey dovey shit 24/7", Jill commented sarcastically. I popped myself down on the seat next to her and she wrapped her arm around my shoulder, squeezing me in a quick hug, "Now we need to plan all of the pranks we are going to pull on Jessie when she gets here".

I just laughed and we spent the rest of the night watching the football and planning all the different ways we were going to tease my girlfriend once she arrived.