The Candles - Maya Bishop

There was a light knock on my door, so I went over to answer it. I opened it to find Maya, pacing back and forth, she looked tired, like she'd had a long shift, I looked at my watch, 9 o'clock, she must have just finished.

"Hey", I greeted her, smiling stupidly like I always did around her, "I didn't know you were coming over tonight, did I forget we organised something", I said panicking a little that I'd forgotten a date or something.

"No no no, we didn't, I wasn't, I just, I had a really bad day and I just, I needed to see you, see that you were ok, I can go, you probably have plans or-" I cut off her rambling.

"Hey no, it's fine, come in", I opened the door wider and gestured for her to come in, taking her coat off her shoulders when she started to remove it, as I did I noticed that she was trembling slightly, "you're shaking, are you ok?", I asked as we made our way further into my apartment.

"I'm fine, I'm just", she paused looking at me, suddenly she placed her hands on my cheeks, pulling me in for a kiss, which I gladly reciprocated.

"Not that I'm complaining but, what was that for?", I asked curiously.

"I had a really, really bad day", she answered, looking at me.

I placed my hand on her cheek, caressing it gently, "do you wanna talk about it?", I asked.

"Not really, I mean, not, not about my day really", she started rambling again.

"Well what do you wanna talk about?", I asked, I was a little confused now, " you seem like you want to say something", I prompted her.

"Did you know you're like, kinda obsessed with candles?", she started, I went to say something but she carried on, "I don't think I've ever been to your apartment and not seen at least one candle, and it really terrifies me", she had started pacing again now, and I was way to confused to interrupt her, "every time I leave I have this thought like, what if, what if one falls over while you're in the shower, or what if you go out to work and you forget to blow one out", she was talking so fast I could hardly keep up.

"I think you're over thinking this a little", I tried to calm her.

"No, no I'm not, because I know you pretty well now, well enough to know that you're super reckless and I can't help but think that if something happened that you would do something stupidly reckless to try and save something or someone and I'm terrified that you'll get hurt and I spent the entire day thinking that, and then we had this call about I fire like 2 blocks away and I instantly thought", she stopped pacing and faced me, "what if it's you? It wasn't, but it could be, and I, I have no idea what I'd do if something like that were to happen to you, because I think I'm in love with you", she stopped there and just looked at me, like she wanted me to say something. I don't know what to say.

I opened my mouth, but nothing came out.

"You don't have to say it back, but, I do, I think I love you, because whenever I'm not with you, I always find myself thinking about you, everything reminds me of you, if one of the guys tells some stupid joke, I think of you telling me some stupid joke, every time I get a cup of coffee I think of you asking if I want tea, everytime Warren talks about something he did I surgery once, I think of you, I think of you and how amazing and beautiful and sexy and incredible you are and how I love everything about you, even the stuff that annoys me", I couldn't help but smile at her, as I walked closer to her again and placed me hands on her waist.

"I think I love you too", I said, "because I do the same thing, I think about you constantly, every time my phone rings I hope it's you asking if you can come over, or telling me about something that happened in your day, or literally just saying hey, I constantly want something interesting to happen so I have an excuse to call you and tell you about it, every time we have a trauma come in I hope you're the one bringing them just so I can see you for a split second to break up my day even the slightest little bit", I told her.

"Really?", She asked, smiling like the beautiful idiot she is.

"Yes really, Maya Bishop, I think I'm in love with you too, I mean, who wouldn't be", I smiled and leaned in to kiss her again, I pulled away, "though I am curious, what exactly do you find annoying about me?"

"So, many, things", she emphasised each word, "but I love you more for each of them, though it would make me feel better if you lot less candles, seriously those things are death traps."

"But they smell nice"

"Get some insense instead", she suggested.

"Not the same".