35: 🥠 Two of the Fortunate Few

One thing about Harry Styles is that he tends to have a lot of pride in himself. And pride is good. It's always great to have a certain amount of pride about oneself as it reflects good self esteem. But sometimes Harry can be too prideful. Sometimes he can think more of himself and be more sure of himself in a situation than he should and he doesn't recognize when it's time to take a step back and reevaluate things.

The problem with having too much pride is that it's only the beginning. It's never the end. Because something is bound to happen to cause the ego one once had to be knocked down a peg until they realize they aren't as important as they think they are. It was all just an illusion.

With this whole Zayn Malik situation, Harry has pretty much been knocked down a peg. He was so sure of himself at first until everything he thought would happen didn't and everything he thought couldn't happen did. Now he's at a place where he has to swallow his pride. And every understanding of what having too much pride is like becomes clear when he realizes he's been choking on it this entire time.

But even though he recognizes the way he's carried himself these last few months is less than satisfactory, he endeavors to make it right and put everything behind him. That's why he's walking into the nightclub on a Friday night and making his way over to the bar where he can see Liam sitting alone and sipping on a beer. He still hasn't seen or spoken to him since his birthday and he hasn't been too kind to him since that argument they had in Liam's apartment. So with as often as they used to see each other, it's almost like seeing him for the first time in months.

He reaches the bar just as Liam is busy turning the bottle up.

"Vodka and Tonic." He says to the bartender.

Very quickly, Liam lowers the bottle and focuses his attention on the source of the request.

"Hey..." He says and surprise is evident in his voice.

"Hey... I know you weren't expecting me to come tonight, were you?"

Liam hates to say it. But he has to be honest. "No. I thought you would just keep avoiding me. But I am glad to see you. I've missed you."

Harry takes a seat on the stool next to him and Liam eyes him the entire way. Seeing Harry makes him think about the argument they had. It's the reason all this mess started in the first place so he feels that he better make a sincere apology for it.

"Listen... I'm sorry." He says.

Harry's turns to him. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because that day at my apartment... I should never have called you a coward. You left right after that so I knew I'd hurt your feelings. I was harsh on you."

"No you weren't." Harry says.

"But I was. I am not your father and I should do a better job of remembering that. I just find it kind of hard to do because I care about you so much."

Harry puts a hand on his shoulder. "Liam, I know you care. I also know that you do what you do because Anne told you to look after me and make sure I'm okay."

"She told you?"

"Yes. A few weeks ago when she told me you told her about Zayn."

Harry sees Liam's face flush at the mention of Zayn but he calms him immediately.

"And I'm not mad."

"You're not?"

"No. I'm not. I'm thankful. Because you were right about Zayn. I do run from my emotions. And that does make me a coward. But I don't like being a coward."